[gnu.emacs] Comment on source availability

ade@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Ade Lovett) (05/07/89)

I apologise in advance for putting this article in what is technically
the wrong group, but I'm getting seriously p*ssed off with this and I
think its about time everyone else knew about this

In article <BOB.89May5160752@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield writes:
> If you want to have a copy and you don't have access to a fixed-cost
> network, use UUCP to osu-cis and pay for the call yourself.

why, Why, WHY is it that every time any new stuff becomes available,
this, and many other, newsgroups simply get an articles stating "You
can FTP/UUCP it from ..."

It seems that you lot on the other side of the water don't seem to
realise (or at least forget) that USENET is an international network
with links to most of Europe, Australia etc. etc.

Until we all become part of the Internet, we in the UK (at least) have
to rely heavily on (very few) mail-based archive sites storing what we
want. Often, we miss out completely unless some kind-hearted person
offers to e-mail it to us so we can redistribute it here.

GNUS is an excellent example of how distribution *SHOULD* be done. Any
time a major new version is written, it gets POSTED so we can all
install and enjoy it. Why the hell can't this be done with major GNU
Emacs upgrades (especially when they're only diffs - 90-odd K of
useful stuff seems to me to be a good deal when you think of the
endless K of crap that seems to be floating around USENET.

All I ask is that the next time a major upgrade is released, please
remember that America isn't the only country on the network.

aDe
--
Ade Lovett (Department uh Computa' Science, Warwick University, UK)
UUCP : ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!ade  ARPA : ade%warwick@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Gordon@ucl-cs.UUCP (05/09/89)

> I apologise in advance for putting this article in what is technically
> the wrong group, but I'm getting seriously p*ssed off with this and I
> think its about time everyone else knew about this

I share your concern.

> In article <BOB.89May5160752@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield writes:
> > If you want to have a copy and you don't have access to a fixed-cost
> > network, use UUCP to osu-cis and pay for the call yourself.
>
> why, Why, WHY is it that every time any new stuff becomes available,
> this, and many other, newsgroups simply get an articles stating "You
> can FTP/UUCP it from ..."
>
> [..]
>
> Until we all become part of the Internet, we in the UK (at least) have
> to rely heavily on (very few) mail-based archive sites storing what we
> want. Often, we miss out completely unless some kind-hearted person
> offers to e-mail it to us so we can redistribute it here.

Don't hold your breath but the former may happen sooner than you think, in some
shape or form. Also the ANONYMOUS friends who run the info-server network work very hard
for the benefit of others. NIFTP and FTAM are also available, as well as
mail. I would like to setup a GNU-sources server here, but this is not possible.

> [...]
>
> aDe
> --
> Ade Lovett (Department uh Computa' Science, Warwick University, UK)
> UUCP : ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!ade  ARPA : ade%warwick@cs.ucl.ac.uk
>        (ade@warwick.uucp)         EARN : ade%uk.ac.warwick@UKACRL
> "Jeez, I'm only a CompSci student, what do I know about opinions..."

Exactly.

Gordon.

Surface mail: Dr. G.C.Joly, Department of Statistical Science,
      University College London, Gower Street, LONDON WC1E 6BT, U.K.
E-mail:  					   | Tel: +44 1 387 7050
 JANET (U.K. network) gordon@uk.ac.ucl.stats       |      extension 3636
       (Arpa/Internet form: gordon@stats.ucl.ac.uk)| FAX: +44 1 387 8057
Relays: ARPA @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                   |
        EAN: @ean-relay.ac.uk                      |
	CSNET: %nsfnet-relay.ac.uk@relay.cs.net    |
        BITNET: %ukacrl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu, @ac.uk
        EARN: @ukacrl.bitnet, @AC.UK, @uk.ac.earn-relay
By uucp/Usenet: ....!uunet!mcvax!ukc!stats.ucl.ac.uk!gordon

lmjm%doc.imperial.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (06/07/89)

   Date: 9 May 89 09:26:14 GMT
   From: mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!nott-cs!ucl-cs!Gordon@uunet.uu.net

   > Until we all become part of the Internet, we in the UK (at least) have
   > to rely heavily on (very few) mail-based archive sites storing what we
   > want. Often, we miss out completely unless some kind-hearted person
   > offers to e-mail it to us so we can redistribute it here.

   Don't hold your breath but the former may happen sooner than you think, in some
   shape or form. Also the ANONYMOUS friends who run the info-server network work very hard
   for the benefit of others. NIFTP and FTAM are also available, as well as
   mail. I would like to setup a GNU-sources server here, but this is not possible.

I run a UK archive of GNU stuff.  Due to space limitations we only
keep complete copies of the latest versions. No old versions.  No diff
files.   As to allowing stuff to be accessed by mail - its just too
big!  Sites on Janet (sort of the UK equivalent to arpanet) and on the
UK PSS network can access our stuff.  That covers most of the
academics and a large number of comercial companies.  We're trying to
setup a decent tape writing service but these things tape time.  In
the meantime I can be sweet-talked into writing tapes  ..  mail me.

--
Lee McLoughlin		phone: 01 589 5111 X 5028  	fax: 01 581 8024
Department of Computing,Imperial College,180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ, UK