[gnu.emacs] Various small comments about Emacs

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (06/08/89)

These impressions are some that I have had of the Emacs editor so far.

Does anyone have any patches or modifications for GNU Emacs which will make it
case insensitive in all appropriate locations?  (I think it's stupid Unix and
C are case sensitive at all, and have often wondered how easy it would be to
fix that on a system of my own).

more comments:
- Using ln to link a file and then edit it, Emacs will save the old version
  associated with the same old link, and the file will end up with a new
  inode, link structure, file descriptor, directory entry, etc.
  This isn't always intended or understood by the user (me),
  although I can see benefits and hardships both ways.
- Versions.  How easy is it to ask Emacs to use a new name for each version
  of a file I make (ITS-wise, where each version gets something.83383,
  or something better dealing with more intricate version #s would be
  nice too) and deal with it appropriately?  I guess this is a fundamental
  problem with Unix:  it calls many things Files (a concept I am absolutely
  sick of), and doesn't even bother to put file type information anywhere --
  the file is anyone's guess as to what it is (so common practices are to
  put file type information in the calling environment (an unportable
  method) or in the file itself (something which gets in the way of
  data representation).  Bleah.
- Multitasking.  Arggh!  Why do I have to be stuck with one command line
  in an otherwise fairly powerful system?  Why must I sit waiting for one
  command to finish for me to figure out what to type for another,
  or even ^Z out for god's sake?  The worst thing is wanting to look
  something up, and realizing that there is no way to do that.
- Incremental compilation (automatic).  What's this thing about me
  having to manually type byte-compile?

I guess I just haven't used Emacs for 20 years and gotten used to
The Way it Should Be, so some of this is not exactly right on target.

Also, is there a binary mode, complete with various Hex and Ascii
translation guides?  This would greatly simplify the task
of people like me who like to look and modify a file in its full 8 bits.

Bleah, it's late, but I think this all makes some sense.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (06/08/89)

In article <1989JE8.090959,4635;ULMO@SSYX.UCSC.EDU> ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu writes:
> - Using ln to link a file and then edit it, Emacs will save the old
> version associated with the same old link, and the file will end up
> with a new inode, link structure, file descriptor, directory entry,
> etc.  This isn't always intended or understood by the user (me),
> although I can see benefits and hardships both ways.

I've been meaning to look at this one and see how the link could be
preserved.  The fellow who handles the /export partitions on our
primary fileservers has exactly the same problem with the ring of
files he has ln'ed.  He wants to edit just one of the files (any file)
and have the link preserved so that all of the others see the change.
He prefers to use Emacs but has taken to vi'ing these files because it
will preserve the link.

Somewhat hand-in-hand with this is the file gets written out with new
owner information (last time I tried this was a few months ago; we've
been avoiding the problem in the meantime).

% ls -l ~X/README
-r--r--r--  1 X            4258 Oct 26  1988 /appl/imagine1/X/README
% sudo emacs ~X/README
[change made, revision saved]
% ls -l ~X/README
-r--r--r--  1 root         4258 Oct 26  1988 /appl/imagine1/X/README

Perhaps a quick fix here would be for the original file owner to be
noted and then have the file chown'ed back.  This solution doesn't
work, however, for the case where I am in the same group as a file
owner and I edit a mode 664 file.  Once again, vi happens to work as
expected under these circumstances.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/08/89)

In article <TALE.89Jun8105435@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>I've been meaning to look at this one and see how the link could be
>preserved.  The fellow who handles the /export partitions on our
>primary fileservers has exactly the same problem with the ring of
>files he has ln'ed.  He wants to edit just one of the files (any file)

(setq backup-by-copying t) in your .emacs will solve that.

Using hard links to share /export (I assume you are talking about SunOS4.x)
is a dangerous proposition for that very reason.  If emacs and vi can be
made to do the "right" thing, g*d knows what all the other utilities will
do with hard links.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (06/09/89)

In article <1989JE8.090959,4635;ULMO@SSYX.UCSC.EDU>, ulmo@ssyx writes:
>Does anyone have any patches or modifications for GNU Emacs which will make it
>case insensitive in all appropriate locations?

case-fold-search for searches.  file lookup will have to retain case
sensitivity - it's in the filesystem.  Not usre what other locations
you have in mind.

>					         (I think it's stupid Unix and
>C are case sensitive at all, and have often wondered how easy it would be to
>fix that on a system of my own).

Maybe in GNU

>- Using ln to link a file and then edit it, Emacs will save the old version

Variables backup-by-copying, backup-by-copying-when-linked,
backup-by-copying-when-mismatch should get you what you want.

>- Versions.  How easy is it to ask Emacs to use a new name for each version
>  of a file I make

The variable is version-control

>- Multitasking.  Arggh!  Why do I have to be stuck with one command line
>  in an otherwise fairly powerful system?

Run a job-control capable shell in a shell window;
explicit-shell-file-name variable.  & at the end of a command line
puts it in background.

>- Incremental compilation (automatic).  What's this thing about me
>  having to manually type byte-compile?

Function byte-compile-directory will help.  put dot after the defun
and type ^X^E to redefine it, byt there is no "byte-compile this form
and then eval it", though this could be consed up from what's there I
think.

>I guess I just haven't used Emacs for 20 years and gotten used to
>The Way it Should Be, so some of this is not exactly right on target.

It is still gonna be a few years until the Unix world catches up to
where ITS, Tenex, Multics and Tops-20 were 15-20 years ago!  Look to
the FSF folks to maybe do this with GNU Unix, if it ever materializes.

>Also, is there a binary mode, complete with various Hex and Ascii
>translation guides?  This would greatly simplify the task
>of people like me who like to look and modify a file in its full 8 bits.

emacs can edit anything, though it can be a bit cumbersome.  There is
a mode that makes it a little easier - it generates a ascii picture of
the file in hex which you edit, then it turns the ascii back to binary
when you write it out (I guess).  Contact Keith Gabryelski,
<ag@elgar.cts.com>.

You'll become a believer sooner or later.

--
/jr, nee John Robinson   What a waste it is to lose one's mind--or not
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr      to have a mind.  How true that is. -Dan Quayle