[gnu.emacs] mh-e.el

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (06/29/89)

In article <8906282341.AA01451@nowhere>, aks%nowhere (aks@hub, Alan Stebbens) writes:
>ADVERTISEMENT: MH with "mh-e.el" (by Brian K. Reid) is extremely
>nice, quick, and allows me to be productive even with over 100
>pieces of mail each day.

To be fair, you should also credit James Larus, who took Reid's
Gosmacs version into GNU emacs, and has extensively enhanced and
improved it since.  Also, recent changes by Stephen Gildea have
improved its performance quite a bit.

Let me echo Alan's endoresment.

Does anyone use MH/mh-e for reading news?  I know that MH can handle
"read-only" folders, and that by symlinking (for example) ~/Mail/comp
-> /usr/spool/news/comp, you can use the mh-e interface.  But it would
be nicer if mh-e "knew" that a folder was a newsgroup, and did, for
examnple, a "scan unread" by default when you visit the folder.  I
tried this for a while and found it too slow.  But the inability to
post followups really shoots this approach if you participate in a
newsgroup.  My fallback is to use gnews for news (NNTP turns out to be
convenient, though I can mount a shared news spool too).
--
/jr, nee John Robinson   What a waste it is to lose one's mind--or not
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr      to have a mind.  How true that is. -Dan Quayle