[gnu.emacs] Help on using Webster

iu@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (SiuLeong Iu) (07/18/89)

  We have problem in using the Webster checker on gnu-emacs. After we type
the M-x webster and check a word. The machine attempts to connect the webster
server but it does not go through and we get the message
"Process webster exited abnormally with code 1". It did not happen
before. It seems that the server has been changed. Attached are first few lines
related to webster we putted in the file .emacs. Can someone help
us to fix it? Thanks in advance!

-----
(autoload 'webster "webster" "look up a word in Webster's 7th edition" t)
(defvar webster-host "128.197.2.40"
  "Host that is a webster server (Boston U). Try also 26.0.0.73, which is sri-nic")
(defvar webster-port "103"
  "The port to connect to. Either 103 or 2627")
-----

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (07/19/89)

You need to locate your own webster server; the last time I posted webster.el,
it came supplied with boston university by default.

So, everyone used the boston server, causing it to be overloaded. Boston U.
them restricted who could use their webster server.

To avoid doing this again, I left a bogus name in the server and removed
all the server names that I knew of.

If your campus has a NeXT machine, you can install a Webster server on
that machine using software written by Steve Hayman
(sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu). I think that it's available for anonymous
FTP from that host.

Failing that, you'll need to find someone who will let you use their
webster server. Good luck.

--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu)

mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) (07/19/89)

on 18 Jul 89 16:37:23 GMT,
iu@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (SiuLeong Iu) said:
> Sender: news@netnews.upenn.edu

>   We have problem in using the Webster checker on gnu-emacs. After we type
> the M-x webster and check a word. The machine attempts to connect the webster
> server but it does not go through and we get the message
> "Process webster exited abnormally with code 1". It did not happen
> before. It seems that the server has been changed. Attached are first few lines
> related to webster we putted in the file .emacs. Can someone help
> us to fix it? Thanks in advance!

> -----
> (autoload 'webster "webster" "look up a word in Webster's 7th edition" t)
> (defvar webster-host "128.197.2.40"
>   "Host that is a webster server (Boston U). Try also 26.0.0.73, which is sri-nic")
> (defvar webster-port "103"
>   "The port to connect to. Either 103 or 2627")
> -----

I seems that Merriam Webster has asked the sites that have a copy of
the  on-line webster not to distribute it any further or provide network
access to it.

If your site has a copy of the dictionary you ar done.  Otherwise it
is doubtful that you will get access to a server.

The NeXT machines come with a webster and Steve Hayman
<sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> has a server for the NeXT webster.

George Hadden <hadden@src.honeywell.com> has an on-line version of a
pocket webster dictionary. I have some emacs lilsp code to use it.

Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (07/19/89)

>If your campus has a NeXT machine, you can install a Webster server on
>that machine using software written by Steve Hayman
>(sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu). I think that it's available for anonymous
>FTP from that host.

That's right, you can ftp it from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (129.79.254.192),
it's in the file "pub/NeXT-websterd.shar" .  If you ftp it, please
drop me a note so that I can keep track of who's using it in case there are
bug fixes or enhancements.

I can also mail the source out to people who can't ftp.

..Steve

--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                   (812) 855-6984

In article <MUJICA.89Jul18122802@ra.cs.ucla.edu> mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) writes:

   George Hadden <hadden@src.honeywell.com> has an on-line version of a
   pocket webster dictionary. I have some emacs lilsp code to use it.

Before you bother poor George for a copy, he's already put it up on
src.honeywell.com as /incoming/{DICT,DICT.INDEX}.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)