In article <1502@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

   From: dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 19 Jul 89 16:39:53 GMT
   Sender: news@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu

   I asked a while back about the copyright status of the Dictionary on the
   NeXT.  I have received a definitive answer from one of our NeXT reps.

   The information in the Webster must be processed and displayed
   ONLY on NeXT machines.  Using it as a basis for a webster server is NOT
   ok, unless ALL the clients are NeXT machines.

   If you must flame somebody over this, don't flame NeXT, flame Merriam Webster.
   They are the ones insisting on their copyright rights (personally, I
   don't blame them, but that's just my opinion).

   Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
   IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

Austin Dahl
Internet: pardo@cs.washington.edu
UUCP: {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) (07/20/89)

on 19 Jul 89 23:03:06 GMT,
austin@uw-june.uw-beaver (Austin Dahl) said:

>    The information in the Webster must be processed and displayed
>    ONLY on NeXT machines.  Using it as a basis for a webster server is NOT
>    ok, unless ALL the clients are NeXT machines.

>    If you must flame somebody over this, don't flame NeXT, flame Merriam Webster.
>    They are the ones insisting on their copyright rights (personally, I
>    don't blame them, but that's just my opinion).

Maybe a GNU Dictionary would be a useful project?

Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA

jym@APPLE.COM (07/21/89)

> Maybe a GNU Dictionary would be a useful project?

Easy.  All you need is a text scanner and a copy of the Oxford English
 Dictionary (whose copyright is so old that it's in the public domain).
  Read it in, and hire a staff of maintainers.

Anyone for an info-gnu-dictionary lists?
 <_Jym_>

bvrotney@ADS.COM (Bill Vrotney) (07/22/89)

   Posted-Date: 20 Jul 89 00:48:16 GMT
   Date: 20 Jul 89 00:48:16 GMT
   From: mujica@cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica)
   Sender: info-gnu-emacs-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   on 19 Jul 89 23:03:06 GMT,
   austin@uw-june.uw-beaver (Austin Dahl) said:

   >    The information in the Webster must be processed and displayed
   >    ONLY on NeXT machines.  Using it as a basis for a webster server is NOT
   >    ok, unless ALL the clients are NeXT machines.

   >    If you must flame somebody over this, don't flame NeXT, flame Merriam Webster.
   >    They are the ones insisting on their copyright rights (personally, I
   >    don't blame them, but that's just my opinion).

   Maybe a GNU Dictionary would be a useful project?

   Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
   Computer Science Department, UCLA

What  I've   thought about as being   as  usefull  as a  dictionary as
described above is a combination dictionary/thesaurus which could also
be used as a base for a speller and other word queries. On the surface
this sounds  complicated but could  really be simpler  and occupy less
storage than a dictionary and yet  contain more potential information.
It could be based on words  expressed in  terms of relations  of other
words,  unlike the relations  of  words  in terms of  other words in a
conventional  dictionary   definition, but more   like  the  relations
expressed in a sematic  network or conceptual dependency.  For example
given the "American Heritage Dictionary" definition of "navy":

NAVY 1. All  of  a nation's  warships.  2. A nation's  entire military
orginization   for   sea  warfare  and   defense,   including vessels,
personnel, and shore  establishments. 3. A  group of  ships: fleet. 4.
Navy blue.

replaced by something like

navy: (has nation warships)
      (purpose
       (contains
        (adjective military organization)
          (and vessels personnel (adjective shore establishments)))
        (and (adjective sea warfare) defense))))
      (synonym * fleet)
      (adjective * blue)

Other entries being something like:

adjective: (modifies word (meaning word))

fleet: (adjective group ships)

blue: (type color)

synonym: (same (meaning word) (meaning word))