[gnu.emacs] Apple Suit

gangolli@wolvesden.Stanford.EDU (Anil R. Gangolli) (07/24/89)

Excerpts From the San Francisco Chronicle Business Section (B1), July 22, 1989.
APPLE DEALT STUNNING LEGAL BLOW, J. Schneidawind, Staff Writer.

	In a PROPOSED [-emph. mine] ruling that COULD BE CHANGED LATER,
	U.S. District Judge William Schwarzer limited Apple's claim that
	Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard copied the "look and feel" of Apple's
	popular Macintosh computers.

	The preliminary decision extended Microsoft Corp.'s 1985 software
	license from apple to much of Microsoft's own Windows 2.03 program,
	which uses a Macintosh-like approach to displaying information
	on a computer screen.

	Schwarzer tentatively ruled that certain features of Microsoft
	and Hewlett-Packard's programs were protected by a 1985 license
	agreement, and were "out of the case."
	:
	:
	Apple's lead attorney stressed that the judge said Apple can
	still try to prove copyright violations of the way icons and
	window displays are used.

--anil.

jeffrey@algor2.uu.net (Jeffrey Kegler) (07/24/89)

gangolli@wolvesden.Stanford.EDU (Anil R. Gangolli) writes:

>Excerpts From the San Francisco Chronicle Business Section (B1), July 22, 1989.
>APPLE DEALT STUNNING LEGAL BLOW

From what I can gather about this proposed ruling, it would not do us
(the opponents of look and feel copyrights) much good.  The portions
of Apple's suit excluded are excluded not because of the invalidity of
the copyright, but because an agreement between Apple and Microsoft
would grant them that right even if the copyright were valid.

And the parts included are two: overlapping windows and movable icons.
This does not give Apple the right to any windowed system, true, but
is certainly broad enough.  Imagine a GUI without overlapping windows
and movable icons!

And the ruling only offers relief in other areas to those who have an
existing agreement with Apple.  (I seem to have misplaced mine. :-)

So if you just plain old wish Apple ill, or Bill Gates well, you can
take comfort from this ruling.  Otherwise, it is either a minor or a
Phyrrhic victory.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey