[net.music] Why, oh why, do these remakes?

rsk@pucc-k (Wombat) (07/25/85)

There are some songs which could be remade to provide a different
perspective on the composition...for example, Manfred Mann's Earth
Band's version of Bruce Springsteen's "Spirit in the Night".

There are some songs which could be remade as a sort of tribute to the
original artist...for example, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Voodoo Chile",
originally done by Jimi Hendrix.

Then there are some songs which should never have seen the light of day
in the first place, but seem to arise zombie-like from the grave to
haunt us again.  I'm referring, of course, to Motley Crue's "Smokin' in
the Boys' Room", and Power Station's "Get It On (Bang a Gong)".  I had
thought, up to now, that Brownsville Station and T. Rex had done the
definitively awful renditions of these songs, and I had hoped that
nobody else would repeat these mistakes.  I see now that I was mistaken.

Perhaps I'm not clued in to the nostalgic mood that I imagine these
songs are supposed to provoke; or perhaps this new interpretations
don't meet my ideas of appropriate material and presentation in 1985;
but I wonder whether these tunes are aimed at those who've heard them
before, or at those who have no idea that they're hearing (badly)
recycled stuff.  One shudders to think what might come along next;..
perhaps "Echoes" (Pink Floyd) done with a reggae backbeat; maybe a
disco version of "Teach Your Children" (CSNY); or, if we're really
lucky, an acoustic rendition of "Space Trucker" (Deep Purple).
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@{pur-ee,purdue}.uucp, rsk@purdue-asc.csnet
		rsk@purdue-asc.arpa or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/26/85)

What *I* like are those hardcore quadruple speed remakes of awful saccharine
1970s music.  This morning I heard Detox do "(We have joy, we have fun, we
have) Seasons in the Sun", and I also recall a rendition of "I Think I Love
You" (artiste unknown).  What about "You Light Up My Life", "Having My
Baby", "I Honestly Love You", and the billions of Diana Ross, Kenny
Rogers and Air Supply songs DYING to be done over in this manner.  THIS is
an unoriginal idea whose time has come (and gone)!!!!  What a perfect death
for refrigerator music!!!
--
"Do I just cut 'em up like regular chickens?"    Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (07/27/85)

In article <1197@pucc-k> rsk@pucc-k.UUCP (Wombat) writes:

>            ...  One shudders to think what might come along next;..
>perhaps "Echoes" (Pink Floyd) done with a reggae backbeat; maybe a
>disco version of "Teach Your Children" (CSNY); or, if we're really
>lucky, an acoustic rendition of "Space Trucker" (Deep Purple).

What I've been hoping and praying for is an album of soul songs
covered by Luciano Pavarotti, including (of course) "Kung Fu Fighting"
and "Play That Funky Music, White Boy." Doo-wops would be provided
by the Swingle Singers, and ELO would be the backup band. Can't you
just hear it now:

    "... Pla-hay that-a fonky music, white-a boy..."

It would be the best thing since Mrs. Miller's cover of "Downtown."
Anybody remember THAT golden moldy??

Come to think of it, I should have crossposted this to net.bizarre :-)

                                  -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/29/85)

In <1311@pyuxd.UUCP> (Rich Rosen) wrote:
> What *I* like are those hardcore quadruple speed remakes of awful saccharine
> 1970s music.  This morning I heard Detox do "(We have joy, we have fun, we
> have) Seasons in the Sun", and I also recall a rendition of "I Think I Love
> You" (artiste unknown).  What about "You Light Up My Life", "Having My
> Baby", "I Honestly Love You", and the billions of Diana Ross, Kenny
> Rogers and Air Supply songs DYING to be done over in this manner.  THIS is
> an unoriginal idea whose time has come (and gone)!!!!  What a perfect death
> for refrigerator music!!!

Well, Rich (and everybody else), there was a record made a few years ago
by a group called [I swear] The Circle Jerks, called [I swear again] Golden
Shower of Hits.  It was basically a punk/new wave/new music (what a dumb name!)
answer to those Stars on 45 collections, and included most of the songs Rich
mentioned above, along with lots of others (Afternoon Delight for instance).

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

I do and I do and I do for you kids, and this is the thanks I get!

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (07/29/85)

In article <313@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:

>It would be the best thing since Mrs. Miller's cover of "Downtown."
>Anybody remember THAT golden moldy??

I just heard this for the first time last week.  When my radio turned on
in the morning to wake me up that "version" of _Downtown_ was playing.
Definitly a strange song to be awakened with.

____

" Let there be songs to fill the air ... "

____
				Rea Simpson
				Lawrence Livermore Labs L-306
				P.O. Box 808
				Livermore, CA  94550
				(415) 423-0910

{dual, gymble, sun, mordor}!lll-crg!simpson
simpson@lll-crg.ARPA

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (07/30/85)

> There are some songs which could be remade to provide a different
> perspective on the composition...for example, Manfred Mann's Earth
> Band's version of Bruce Springsteen's "Spirit in the Night".
.
.
> Then there are some songs which should never have seen the light of day
> in the first place, but seem to arise zombie-like from the grave to

I'm not sure where these two would fit here, but has anyone out there
heard a recording of what sounds like a nightclub entertainer doing the
Sex Pistols classic "God Save The Queen?"  Or how about the punked out
remake of the old Dylan tune "Like A Rolling Stone."  I know, I don't
know if I believe that I heard them, but then KFJC is sometimes like
that....
--
...and I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody outside of a small circle
of friends...

Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design for a large, Silicon Valley firm

{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.  They may not represent those of the
	employer of its submitter.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/30/85)

In article <415@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>Well, Rich (and everybody else), there was a record made a few years ago
>by a group called [I swear] The Circle Jerks, called [I swear again] Golden
>Shower of Hits.  It was basically a punk/new wave/new music(what a dumb name!)
>answer to those Stars on 45 collections, and included most of the songs Rich
>mentioned above, along with lots of others (Afternoon Delight for instance).
>
>--Evan Marcus

Ah yes, but the Circle Jerks' original stuff is very inspired. Repo Man
fans may recognize a song called "when the shit hits the fan" that was
very badly done in the film.

A very energetic band, they managed to squeeze what was usually a
two-hour concert into one hour for recording purposes.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

"I'm not a fool!"
-The Hated One

maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag) (07/30/85)

I do not know if this is the ``God Save the Queen'' that you mean, but
Black Arabs (a Band create by the Sex Pistols for the Great Rock and
Roll Swindle) did a slap in the face on disco medly using some of the
lyrics from the SeX PiStOLs greats such as God Save the Queen, Anarchy
in the U.K., Pretty Vacant and a few more.  It is on the Soundtrack from
the Great Rock and Roll Swindle, on the Virgin Label (the two record
set-- I don't know if it is on the single record soundtrack.).  It is a
great record, but an import, hence a little more expensive.  Alvin and
the Chipmunks also did a remake of God Save the Queen, but they cut out
the ``Dammit all and do what you want ..... and do as you please....''.

	SeX PiSToLs WiLL PlAY!

	-Chris

________________________________________________________________________________Regrets, I've had a few...
	Sid Vicious

dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) (08/02/85)

A group called the Bollock Brothers did a remake of the entire
"Never Mind the Bollocks..." album a couple of years ago. The
front cover looks almost exactly like the original, except that
it is black and green instead of pink and green (or whatever
colors the current issue of the album is).

As I remember, the BB album has the same song ordering as the
original album. Each song has a somewhat discoish feel to it
(or maybe it's pure disco).

This album was easily obtainable two months ago, and you can
probably find it in the import bin in your favorite record
store. Look under the Bollock Brothers and the Sex Pistols
(the latter category is where I happened to find my copy).

			David Elliott

PS. What is a discussion of Detox and the Sex Pistols doing on
net.music. This group is supposed to be for discussing John
Denver.

whizzo@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Hardy) (08/04/85)

> It would be the best thing since Mrs. Miller's cover of "Downtown."
> Anyone remember THAT golden moldy??

I don't actually remember it, but rumor has it that it has been rereleased
on the "Rhino Brothers World's Worst Records (Volume 2)"  I'm sure I'll hear
it soon, but for now I'll listen to Allan Sherman's "Crazy Downtown"
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be! "
                       Dave Hardy    (whizzo@mit-eddie)
ARPA:  whizzo@mit-eddie.ARPA      -or-     haadav%mitvma@mit-multics.ARPA
CSNET: haadav%mitvma.bitnet@wiscvm.csnet            BITNET: haadav@mitvma

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (08/17/85)

Regarding those songs you thought ought never see the light of day
again:

In the case of "Smokin' in the Boys' Room", since Motley Crue makes no
effort to re-interpret the song, I believe that their intent is to aim
their audience at those who heard it before, but at the same time make
it such that it will still be appreciated today.  Also remember "Smokin'
in the Boys' Room" is somewhat of a rock classic, so it's unlikely that
a teenager of today is hearing it for the first time.

However, Robert Palmer does make some attempt to use his own style in
"Get it On (Bang a Gong)" and the instrumentation and tempo aren't very
similar to the T-Rex version, so I'd say this was aimed at the listeners
of today more so than yesterday.

Now for the trivia question:

Does anyone remember the third version of "Bang a Gong" that came out?
It aired for a short time in the spring of 1979.  It was a mild disco
hit.  In a future article I'll post the name of the band that did it.
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/17/85)

In article <5005@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>Regarding those songs you thought ought never see the light of day
>again:

>Does anyone remember the third version of "Bang a Gong" that came out?
>It aired for a short time in the spring of 1979.  It was a mild disco
>hit.  In a future article I'll post the name of the band that did it.

Bang A Gong    Witch Queen   entered Hot 100 4/28/79  lasted 6 weeks
			     highest position 68      Roadshow 11551
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (08/20/85)

    Yes, I remember! It's by "Witch Queen"
and is 100 % DC-Disco, being popular right
around May, 1979. (I've an old aircheck
tape from my WPEG days, and you really
don't want to hear it again. Sounds quite
silly compared to the T-Rex version (!) )

Enjoy music. Pour a cup of coffee into your Optimod today!!
David Anthony
CDE
DataSpan, Inc