[gnu.emacs] Disabling message output

mleone@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Leone) (07/28/89)

Is there any way to disable output to the message window?  I'm calling
several functions (ie, beginning-of-buffer) that update the message
window, and the result are a bit confusing.  I tried setting
cursor-in-echo-area to nil, but this doesn't seem to have any effect
in our version (18.50.14).  Any ideas?

Mark Leone
mleone@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (08/01/89)

In article <5679@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, mleone@f.gp (Mark Leone) writes:

| Is there any way to disable output to the message window?  I'm calling
| several functions (ie, beginning-of-buffer) that update the message
| window, and the result are a bit confusing.  I tried setting
| cursor-in-echo-area to nil, but this doesn't seem to have any effect
| in our version (18.50.14).  Any ideas?

(describe-key 'beginning-of-buffer) ==>
" beginning-of-buffer:
" Move point to the beginning of the buffer; leave mark at previous position.
" With arg N, put point N/10 of the way from the true beginning.
" Don't use this in Lisp programs!
" (goto-char (point-min)) is faster and does not set the mark.

** notice the last two lines **
Most "noisy" functions are meant to be used by users.  Most of them
have equivalent "non-noisy" functions (in the true Unix style :-).  (I
think that "most" in that last sentence can be replaced with "all"...
but I can't be sure.)

Just another Elisp hacker,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA                           |

trost@crl.labs.tek.com (Bill Trost) (08/02/89)

>Most "noisy" functions are meant to be used by users.  Most of them
>have equivalent "non-noisy" functions (in the true Unix style :-).  (I
>think that "most" in that last sentence can be replaced with "all"...
>but I can't be sure.)

Replace-regexp and replace-string are two functions where this is
grossly lacking.  In the finger stuff, there's a (message "") at the
end of the process sentinel to clean up the mess.

Of course, coding these inline using search-forward and replace-match
isn't too bad, but it's still an unfortunate gap.

Bill Trost, Computer Research Labs, Tektronix
trost@crl.labs.tek.com / tektronix!crl.labs!trost
(trost@reed.bitnet, but probably tektronix!reed!trost)