[gnu.emacs] truncation vs wrapping

allbery@hal.cwru.edu (08/02/89)

In your message of 02 Aug 89 06:54:42 GMT, you write:
+---------------
| What determines whether lines longer than the window width will wrap
| onto the next display line (with a \) or will truncate at the right
| end (marked by $)?  I see the latter behavior only in the case of
| side-by-side split windows.  What I'd like to be able to do is
| sometimes get wrapped display even in those split windows. (Or,
| rarely, maybe sometimes get truncation even in regular windows.)
| Might this be something as nice and simple as a buffer local variable?
+---------------

Yup.

truncate-lines
truncate-partial-width-windows

++Brandon

nate@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) (08/02/89)

In article <MARKS.89Aug2015442@stewart.cs.uchicago.edu>, marks@stewart (Mitchell Marks) writes:
>What determines whether lines longer than the window width will wrap
>onto the next display line (with a \) or will truncate at the right
>end (marked by $)?  I see the latter behavior only in the case of
>side-by-side split windows.  What I'd like to be able to do is
>sometimes get wrapped display even in those split windows. (Or,
>rarely, maybe sometimes get truncation even in regular windows.)

>Might this be something as nice and simple as a buffer local variable?

But it already is!

The way you would find this out would be to do something like

	M-x apropos RET trunc RET

which would produce something like:

---------------------------------------- *Help* --------------------
default-truncate-lines
  Variable: Default truncate-lines for buffers that do not override it.
truncate-lines
  Variable: *Non-nil means do not display continuation lines;
truncate-partial-width-windows
  Variable: *Non-nil means truncate lines in all windows less than full screen wide.
vm-truncate-string

and you would then probably notice those two variables, truncate-lines
and default-truncate-lines.

Happy Editing!
--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate