[gnu.emacs] emulator trap in emacs

jsmng@sysmgr.cs.uh.edu (07/29/89)

We have come across a strange problem with our GNU Emacs and hope someone
can give us some pointers to it.
In one of our client workstations, every time someone tries to start up
Emacs, it responds with an error message "Emulator Trap (core dumped)".
This same copy of Emacs exec file which resides on the server does not
have this problem on the server and the other eleven clients under this
server. The architecture and setup of all 12 clients (including the bad
one) is identical ( all are sun 3/50 ). There should be enough swap space.
Any insight to this problem is appreciated. Please send e-mail to
jsmng@cs.uh.edu and I will summarize the contribution.

jsmng@csun5.cs.uh.edu (08/03/89)

Not long ago I have posted a problem about emulation trap in
emacs. It turns out we are missing a mc68881 chip.
Thanks for the contribution from Ted Lemon. The following
is his mail:

From mellon@zayante Fri Jul 28 21:51:53 1989
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 89 19:52:00 PDT
From: mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon)
To: jsmng@sysmgr.cs.uh.edu ()
Subject: emulator trap in Emacs

Perhaps that particular machine doesn't have a 68881, and all the
others do.   I think there's a command called mc68881, or something
like that, that can tell if one is present.   If this turns out to be
the case, recompile emacs with -fsoft (or -msoft-float, in gcc).

			       _MelloN_