[gnu.emacs] Problems with GNUEMACS here in GERMANY

stoeck@unidocv..uucp (Joachim Peter Stoeck) (08/02/89)

Hello everybody and a special hello to all GNUEMACS-User.
Please help me.

In comp.binaeries.atari.st was a version of GNUEMACS posted.
Because of the enthuastical echo in comp.sys.atari.st I got a copy of
it and unpacked it.
But I have some troubles with it:
1. In the directory 'bin' are the files emacs and etacs, but no .prg
   or .tos-files. So there are no executables. I renamed this files to
   emacs.prg and etags.prg and started it. It seems to work, but was this
   correct??                                                    ---------
   ---------

2. EMACS loads the file LOADUP.EL and got in trouble withit because this
   file is broken (the only thing to do with it is putting in the trash)
   I've looked at it at so many hebraic characters.
   So has someone a LOADUP.EL without ERRORS and could it mail to me???

3. After loading emacs I can't see the cursor and I can't use the cursor-
   keys. Is this o.k. or whould it be o.k. if I hat an correct working
   LOADUP.EL. What shall I do?

Could someone who have a working copy of GNUEEMACS or know something
about the programm try to answere the questions and mail to me a copy
of LOADUP.EL. I whould be very glad.

Thanks in advance
		Joachim Stoeck

Joachim Stoeck          |  mail:
Universitaet Dortmund   |       stoeck@unidocv.uucp
West Germany            |

roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) (08/04/89)

In article <1516@laura.UUCP>, stoeck@unidocv..uucp (Joachim Peter Stoeck) writes:
> Hello everybody and a special hello to all GNUEMACS-User.

Hello !

> But I have some troubles with it:
> 1. In the directory 'bin' are the files emacs and etacs, but no .prg
>    or .tos-files. So there are no executables. I renamed this files to
>    emacs.prg and etags.prg and started it. It seems to work, but was this
>    correct??                                                    ---------
>    ---------

Yes this *is* correct. Sorry, but i am using commandline interpreters on unix
and on my st. So i did not worry about file extensions. Perhaps you should
name them .TTP (they take parameters and are no GEM programs).

> 2. EMACS loads the file LOADUP.EL and got in trouble withit because this
>    file is broken (the only thing to do with it is putting in the trash)
>    I've looked at it at so many hebraic characters.

This file *is not* broken. It's compiled code for emacs. I know about the error
message if you set an environment var $USER (that's because i got code from
our vax and have not changed everything for the st) but that should not cause
any problems (beside the message).

> 3. After loading emacs I can't see the cursor and I can't use the cursor-
>    keys. Is this o.k. or whould it be o.k. if I hat an correct working
>    LOADUP.EL. What shall I do?

You should see a cursor - even if you ommit loading loadup.el (try 'emacs -nl').
It would be correct if you named the file something other than .PRG or .APP.
But you must have \etc\termcap on the current drive where you are starting
emacs. Otherwise it would not know about the escape-sequences needed for
cursor-positioning or the escape-sequences sent by the function and cursor
keys.

> 		Joachim Stoeck

- Edgar