[gnu.emacs] Editing Columns?

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (07/28/89)

Help,

Does anyone have an easy method of editing down columns rather than
across rows using emacs??

Thanks,

** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **
** InterNET ->  bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                  UUCP:  **
** {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas  **

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (08/05/89)

In article <123@cmdfs2.intel.com> bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~)
writes:

> Does anyone have an easy method of editing down columns rather than
> across rows using emacs??

there are two things that might help you here...
1)  rect.el
	this lisp lib. defines a number of commands that work on any
	arbitray rectangle.  you can cut/insert/perform functions on them.
2)  picture.el
	this lisp lib. puts you into a overwrite like mode where you can do
	many funky things, such as type in any of 8 directions.   If you
	want to type down, then you can do this real easly.

both of them are in the standard gnu distribution (I think)

					/Bob...