[gnu.emacs] Enhanced Prolog interface for Emacs

chris@ASYLUM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Chris Shenton) (08/14/89)

Does anyone have an enhanced Prolog interface for Emacs? I'm using Masanobu
UMEDA's prolog.el which is good, but I'm used to using Quintus Prolog's
Unipress [ :-( ] Emacs macros which do a lot more. I have not had any success
trying to convert/compile the Quintus/Unipress macros into GNU Emacs lisp, and
that would probably violate copywrongs anyway.

Thanks.

mattias@emil (Mattias Waldau) (08/16/89)

I have made a better prolog-interface, it can find definitions, point
out syntax error positions, prolog and emacs can call each other
(limited but useful). the code is badly commented, not cleaned up, and
minimal documentation. I will clean it up, but first in
october-november. The regexp's are specific for SICStus, but can be
generalized (october...), but I need help with other Prologs.

If you want it urgently, you can get it now. Mail me.

Mattias Waldau
Computing Science Department                mattias@emil.uu.se
P.O. Box 520, S-751 20  Uppsala, Sweden     Phone: +46-18-181055

lang@PRC.Unisys.COM (Francois-Michel Lang) (08/18/89)

In article <8908141430.AA01823@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov> chris@ASYLUM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Chris Shenton) writes:
>Does anyone have an enhanced Prolog interface for Emacs? I'm using Masanobu
>UMEDA's prolog.el which is good, but I'm used to using Quintus Prolog's
>Unipress [ :-( ] Emacs macros which do a lot more. I have not had any success
>trying to convert/compile the Quintus/Unipress macros into GNU Emacs lisp, and
>that would probably violate copywrongs anyway.
>
>Thanks.

I have only recently started using Quintus Prolog with GNU
(I used it w/the Unipress interface for 3 years), and I too agree
that GNU's prolog.el has very little of the functionality
of Quintus' Unipress interface.  I have patched together
GNU versions of a very small subset of the Unipress MockLisp stuff,
and plan to do more.  Eventually.  I have also *repeatedly* asked
Quintus to provide a GNU interface equivalent in functionality
to their Unipress interface, but they have (so far) shown no
interest in developing this.  You'd think they'd want to do this...

Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys         lang@prc.unisys.com      (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA  lang@linc.cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511