[gnu.emacs] Help on installing VM

kuro@shochu.Sun.Com (Teruhiko Kurosaka - Sun Intercon) (08/18/89)

I have installed VM on top of NEmacs, a Japanese variant of
GNUEMACS 18.50.  I can read e-mail but cannot 'r' (vm-reply) or
'h' (vm-summarize).  Both commands failed with the message:
	No match for \(...\) register 0
This message seems to be displayed by the lisp function
match-beginning, which is called from vm-compile-format (defined
in vm-summary.el).

Have any of you experienced the same problem before?  Any help
is welcome.

  T. "Kuro" Kurosaka

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (08/19/89)

Teruhiko Kurosaka writes:
 > I have installed VM on top of NEmacs, a Japanese variant of
 > GNUEMACS 18.50.  I can read e-mail but cannot 'r' (vm-reply) or
 > 'h' (vm-summarize).  Both commands failed with the message:
 > 	No match for \(...\) register 0

Before version 18.51 Emacs signaled an error if match-beginning or
match-end were called for a \(..\) grouping that had no matching.  In
version 18.51 and beyond, these functions return nil, which is the
beahvior VM expects.

Changing the line in vm-summary that looks like

	    format (match-end 0))
	    format (condition-case () (match-end 0) (error nil)))

should fix the problem.  However, other problems have been reported
under 18.50, some for which I could find no reasonable explanation.
THis is why it is suggested that VM be run under v18.51 or later.