[gnu.emacs] gnu on concurrent

allen@UXC.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Michael Allen) (08/25/89)

Is anyone (besides me) using GNU stuff on a masscomp?  I am having
particular trouble getting emacs and X11 to work together on a MC6350
(68030 based).
If I compile code on a MC5400 (68020 based) -- no problem, I can even
move the code over to the 6350 and run it there.  The problem only
occurs when I compile on the 6350 and try to use X11.

I am also VERY interested in ports of gcc and g++ to the masscomp
line.

thanks,
Michael Allen
Fermilab MS-316
P. O. Box 500
Batavia, IL 60510-5000
(312)840-4734
allen@fnal.gov	(Internet)
foobar@fnal	(Bitnet)

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/25/89)

In article <8908241748.AA01582@mdtf05.gov> allen@fnal.gov writes:
>Is anyone (besides me) using GNU stuff on a masscomp?  I am having
>particular trouble getting emacs and X11 to work together on a MC6350
>(68030 based).
>If I compile code on a MC5400 (68020 based) -- no problem, I can even
>move the code over to the 6350 and run it there.  The problem only
>occurs when I compile on the 6350 and try to use X11.

I am; I have 18.53 with X running on a 5600 (which is a 68020 based
machine); I have no insight into why you're having problems with
the 68030 machines.  Have you checked the compiler versions on the two
machines?  In the past, Masscomp compilers have been extremely buggy.
That's all I can think of given that you can move the binaries from
one machine to the other and have them work.

>I am also VERY interested in ports of gcc and g++ to the masscomp
>line.

I've tried this and given up.  Gcc seems to tweak many compiler bugs
in the Masscomp compilers, and Masscomp uses a peculiar assembly
language format that doesn't match any of the forms supported by gnu
(so I got to build a new file describing the assembly language output).
After a lot of trial and error I got gcc to build, but it bombed when run.
I gave it up; you're welcome to try it.  Probably a better path would
be to get Masscomp's old pcc-based 68010 compiler to do the first stage
build, but I didn't have it available.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck