[gnu.emacs] How do I

bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com (Badger BA 64810) (08/29/89)

I can't seem to do ``(enable-arrow-keys)'' in my ``~/.emacs file''.  What
is the correct means to making ``enable-arrow-keys' my default?  Everything
I've tried generates a "Error in init file".

Does anyone know how to do this right?

I looked at lisp/term/vt200.el and found:
<<start quote>>

(defun enable-arrow-keys ()
  "Enable the use of the VT200 arrow keys and dark function keys.
Because of the nature of the VT200, this unavoidably breaks
the standard Emacs command ESC [; therefore, it is not done by default,
but only if you give this command."
  (interactive)
  (global-set-key "\e[" CSI-map))

<<end quote>>

So I tried just putting
  (global-set-key "\e[" CSI-map)
in my ``.emacs''.  That didn't work.

I also tried byte-compile-file to get:
   ;;;--- Warning, actual escape character in next line ---
  (global-set-key "[" CSI-map)
and that didn't work.

Bernard A. Badger Jr.	407/984-6385          |``Use the Source, Luke!''
Secure Computer Products                      |``Get a LIFE!''  -- J.H. Conway
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902             |Buddy, can you paradigm?
Internet: bbadger%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com|'s/./&&/g' Tom sed expansively.

bbadger@x102c.harris-atd.com (Badger BA 64810) (08/29/89)

I've already received an answer that works:

>From: David C Lawrence <tale@pawl.rpi.edu>
>
>The problem is that those things are defined in the terminal start-up
>file which does not get loaded until after .emacs processing.  Try:
>
>(setq term-setup-hook 'enable-arrow-keys)

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply, David!

No other answers are solicited -- thanks anyway!

I realize there are many variations on this particular answer, but it
has got me past the immediate problem.  Thanks again.