[gnu.emacs] Outline Mode delayed screen updating behavior

presberg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Presberg) (09/01/89)

Has anyone seen a change in behavior in Outline Mode from GNU Emacs 18.52 to
version 18.53?  The messages below give some details about what could be
called "delayed screen updating".  The keybound versions of commands such as
hide-subtree or show-subtree (conventionally C-c C-h and C-c C-s) exhibit this
behavior, but the M-x invocations of the same commands behave as expected.
Other C-c C-<whatever> (such as outline-next-visible-heading (C-c C-n) and
outline-up-heading (C-c C-u)) behave properly.  I have no other observed
problems with C-c -prefix commands and none with (unprefixed) C-h or C-s.

We are running GNU Emacs on a network of Sun workstations (mine is a 3/50):
		emacs-version's value is "18.53.5"
		SunOS Release 4.0.3

We recently upgraded our environment.  I had previously been running:
		GNU Emacs 18.52
		SunOS Release 3.5
and had correct behavior (as well as I can remember) from Outline Mode.

Note the comment from Dale Worley that there were no obvious changes to either
outline.el or the redisplay C code in GNU Emacs in any of the more recent
versions since 18.53.

If someone knows what bug fixes can be applied to 18.53, please let me know.
Please respond by mail:  our news connection is poor right now.

-- Pres

--------
->        David L. Presberg, COMPASS, Inc.                           <-
->USmail: 550 Edgewater Drive, Wakefield, MA 01880, USA.             <-
->tel:    +1 617 245 9540                                            <-
->Domain: presberg@compass.com                                       <-
-> .5&.5: compass!presberg@think.com                                 <-
->uucp:   {think,buita,encore,cvbnet}!compass!presberg               <-
->Nicname:    Pres                                                   <-

---- attached messages: -------

  Date: Thu, 31 Aug 89 17:54:14 EDT
  From: presberg (David Presberg)
  To: worley
  Subject: new gnu lossage in outline mode

  Dale:

  The officially installed ~bboard... gnu seems to have some problems with
  outline mode.  As far as I can make out (I didn't have a lot of time to hack
  with it) the C-c C-<whatever> bindings (e.g., C-c C-s to run show-subtree)
  don't seem to take effect until M-x has also, immediately after, been keyed
  in.  I have a very, very slim .emacs, and I don't do anything at all with
  alternative versions of outline.el or keybindings.  I am running gnu in
  a shelltool window (i.e., not the emacstool). Could you look at diffs between
  what is there now and what was there for either your ~gag/... version, or
  the earlier 18.52 we had up.

  I very successfully last used outline mode back in March '89.  This behavior
  is the pits.   Thanks.

  --Pres

  Date: Fri, 1 Sep 89 09:54:04 EDT
  From: worley (Dale Worley)
  To: presberg
  Subject: Re: new gnu lossage in outline mode

  You've run into some sort of redisplay problem.  You don't need to
  type M-x to get the screen to work correctly, you can type just about
  any command that alters the buffer in question.  (And also M-x --
  curious.)  (Try C-x 2 -- The new version of the buffer is displayed
  correctly, the old one is incorrect!)

  It's unlikely that the .el code has changed -- probably the redisplay
  .c code was changed, and the .el code needs to be changed to
  compensate.  As far as I can tell, the redisplay code and outline.el
  haven't been altered in 18.54 or 18.55, so installing those versions
  won't fix things.

  Why don't you post a bug report to info-gnu-emacs?

  Dale