[gnu.emacs] gnu-emacs 18.54 problem under X11 on Vax 8530

bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) (09/08/89)

We recently upgraded from Ultrix 2.2 running X10 to Ultrix 3.0 running
X11, and simultaneously went from gnuemacs 18.51 to 18.54, and I took
over maintaining emacs at our site.  We are having a problem with
emacs freezing up.  There are two error messages I am getting:  on
startup:
 X Toolkit Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#0000000000  "

(the satartup error message hits for several other applications as well)

and once frozen:

Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xf9ca) in reply type 0x0!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x109be in reply type 0x0!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x109c3 in reply type 0x0!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x10de6 in reply type 0x0!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x20093 > 0x111b3 in reply type 0x12!

or something similar.

While emacs is frozen, it eats up large quantities of resources, on
the order of 50% of the cpu, causing a serious slowdown for everyone
on the system, and, of course, my own other windows (for a while I
thought it was a problem at the server end, until someone came over to
complain about "whatever I was doing with emacs").

We are running emacs on a VAX 8530, and my server is a VAXStation
2000.  Another user is experiencing the same problems running emacs
(same image) on a GPX locally.

There are no problems when running emacs in the "-nw" mode.

Has anyone else out there experienced this behaviour?  Is there an
easy fix?  Your help is appreciated.

--
--mike bergman
	      Massachusetts Microelectronics Center

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/08/89)

In article <BERGMAN.89Sep7161901@odin.m2c.m2c.org>, bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:
> We recently upgraded from Ultrix 2.2 running X10 to Ultrix 3.0 running
> X11, and simultaneously went from gnuemacs 18.51 to 18.54, and I took
> over maintaining emacs at our site.  We are having a problem with
> emacs freezing up.

Ultrix 3.0 is pretty old now.  Try using the latest release or compile gnuemacs
with the MIT X11R3 version of Xlib (libX11.a).

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

nadkarni@ashok.dec.com (09/08/89)

In article <BERGMAN.89Sep7161901@odin.m2c.m2c.org>, bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes...

>We recently upgraded from Ultrix 2.2 running X10 to Ultrix 3.0 running
>X11, and simultaneously went from gnuemacs 18.51 to 18.54, and I took
>over maintaining emacs at our site.  We are having a problem with
>emacs freezing up.  There are two error messages I am getting:  on
>startup:

I have seen the same problem on my GPX with Emacs 18.54. The solution was
to upgrade to 18.55!

/Ashok Nadkarni
Digital Equipment Corporation

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (09/09/89)

bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:

> We recently upgraded from Ultrix 2.2 running X10 to Ultrix 3.0 running
> X11, and simultaneously went from gnuemacs 18.51 to 18.54, and I took
> over maintaining emacs at our site.  We are having a problem with
> emacs freezing up.  There are two error messages I am getting:  on
> startup:
>  X Toolkit Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#0000000000  "

I never saw this.

> (the satartup error message hits for several other applications as well)

> and once frozen:

> Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xf9ca) in reply type 0x0!
> Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x109be in reply type 0x0!
> Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x109c3 in reply type 0x0!
> Xlib: sequence lost (0x20000 > 0x10de6 in reply type 0x0!
> Xlib: sequence lost (0x20093 > 0x111b3 in reply type 0x12!

> or something similar.

I had the same problems.  After consulting with DEC, internal experts, and
the net (thanks guys), I tracked it down to a couple of problems in Ultrix
3.0/UWS 2.0.

My suggestion: upgrade to Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1.

You might try getting GNU Emacs 18.55.  I am not sure if it will fix your
problems, but it is cheaper than upgrading.

For those of you working on Ultrix 3.1, DEC has fixed the malloc problems
that are listed in etc/MACHINES.  In fact, according to DEC, the Xlib
version of malloc is probably the one you want to use.  (I suspect that the
GNU version is still better, but that is my opinion.)

-Israel
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com