[net.games.rogue] I just got killed by body rot and I want to know how to avoid that.

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (02/13/85)

Well, the subject line kind of says it all.  I was fighting a capital 'F',
which (I think) is a violet fungi.  I had plenty of hit points left, and I
just dropped dead.  Is there any way to avoid this, other than not fighting
funguses?  After all, it's pretty easy to run into something accidentally,
unless you step carefully space by space.
    That was the first character that I've ever had do well in the new
version of rogue.  He had lots of hit points, a +4,+3 two-handed sword,
protected armor (am I right in assuming that it was the protection which
kept it from being rusted by rust monsters?), and several staffs which
had been identified, and all kinds of great things going for him, and
he was killed by *body rot*!  Too disgusting to think about.

Generally disgusted
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/14/85)

In article <603@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>Well, the subject line kind of says it all.  I was fighting a capital 'F',
>which (I think) is a violet fungi.  I had plenty of hit points left, and I
>just dropped dead.  Is there any way to avoid this, other than not fighting
>funguses?  After all, it's pretty easy to run into something accidentally,
>unless you step carefully space by space.

hmmmm.  what version of rogue are you playing.  in advanced rogue 2.0,
body rot does little damage compared to when you run into other
monsters at that level of the dungeon.  i have never been killed by a
violet fungi and i have run into many.  they are annoying, but not
dangerous, in my opinion.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

asw@aluxz.UUCP (WEINER) (02/14/85)

> Well, the subject line kind of says it all.  I was fighting a capital 'F',
> which (I think) is a violet fungi.  I had plenty of hit points left, and I
> just dropped dead.  Is there any way to avoid this, other than not fighting
> funguses?

The only way to prevent body rot is by wearing a ring of sustain health.
A scroll of cure disease will cure the rot, otherwise you will lose five
hit points per turn until . . . . .

If you're lucky and can kill the fungi before you're hit by it (them?) you
will not get the rot.

                                      Good Luck

fritzz@sdcc3.UUCP (fritzz) (02/20/85)

>hmmmm.  what version of rogue are you playing.  in advanced rogue 2.0,
>body rot does little damage compared to when you run into other
>monsters at that level of the dungeon.  i have never been killed by a
>violet fungi and i have run into many.  they are annoying, but not
>dangerous, in my opinion.

	This is where constitution becomes important. If you don't have
a ring of sustain health you can become affected by assorted diseases,
including body rot and other infestations. Whith a higher constitution
you recieve less damage per turn from these, and it takes less time to
recover from them. Furthermore, the number of hitpoints you get pack
depends both on your level and constitution. (In version 2.0, after a
certain level you get a random number of hitpoints back every three
moves. with a conct. of 20 you can get 60 hp back in less than 10
turns.) All these things together help in keeping you alive while you
recover. Of course, healing after a major battle is slowed way down, if
not reversed. With a low constitution you will lose hit points faster
than you get them back, and probably die as a result.
--
ihnp4--\                                        fritzz the Zebra
decvax--\