[gnu.emacs] Spell Checker for GNU emacs

vrm@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) (09/20/89)

   Does anyone know of a spell checker for GNU emacs which will
suggest alternate spellings for misspelled words?   I have used one on
a different emacs (CCA, I believe) and found it quite convenient.

   Thanks,

-- Vasile

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (09/20/89)

In article <229@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu>
vrm@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes:

Vasile>    Does anyone know of a spell checker for GNU emacs which
Vasile> will suggest alternate spellings for misspelled words?  I have
Vasile> used one on a different emacs (CCA, I believe) and found it
Vasile> quite convenient.

Vasile>    Thanks,

Vasile> -- Vasile

There is such a package. It is called ispell. You can get it via
anonymous FTP from celray.cs.yale.edu in

	celray.cs.yale.edu:pub/dict.shar
	celray.cs.yale.edu:pub/ispell.shar
	celray.cs.yale.edu:pub/ispell.el

(I think this last file is also in ispell.shar.)

I believe that it is also available via anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.

Enjoy!
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) (09/21/89)

In article <MDB.89Sep19152100@kosciusko.ESD.3Com.COM> mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) writes:
>There is such a package. It is called ispell. You can get it via
>anonymous FTP from celray.cs.yale.edu in

... various sources delteted

>(I think this last file is also in ispell.shar.)

  I have attempted to install this before on our machines.  We are
running ISC 386/ix (a version of System V.3.2), and I can't get it
working.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to dig into the code,
and I was wondering if anyone has gotten ispell to work under
System V.

--
- Dan Rich              |                           |   Dialogic Corporation
  drich@dialogic.UUCP   | - Time is an illusion.    |   129 Littleton Rd