[gnu.emacs] Meta Key

rcardena@hqpyr1.oracle.com (Ricardo A. Cardenas) (01/28/89)

Has anybody gotten the "Compose Char." key on a DEC vt(220,320) terminal
to serve as a Meta-key in emacs?  I don't even know if it CAN be done,
but it would be really sweet.  Please email.

Thanks
Ricky
--
Ricardo Cardenas     || Internet: rcardena%oracle.uucp@HPLABS.HP.COM
Oracle International || also, mail forwarded by: cardenas%dagmar@Athena.MIT.EDU

fischer@utower.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (09/23/89)

Hello,

Env: SCO Xenix 2.3.2 i386

I have just compiled GNU emacs 18.55 with no problems.

But after installing the Meta Key Patch for the Alt Key (the Patch is
submitted as file etc/XENIX) I was wondering how it works because it don't
work at all. Nothing special happens after pressing ALT-v instead of ESC-v.
ALT-v displays a "v" on the screen instead of scrolling back.

Second - I have defined the COMPOSE Character Key on my Wyse 99 GT Terminal
as Meta Key. But what happens - nothing. Same as above. Pressing Meta-v
displays a v on the screen instead of scrolling back.

Did I have to define the MetaKey anywhere ? Please help me out via
direkt mail response.

Thanks,
	Axel
--
UUCP : ...!uunet!unido!tmpmbx!utower!fischer
Telex: 186672 net d

fischer@utower.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:

>But after installing the Meta Key Patch for the Alt Key (the Patch is
>submitted as file etc/XENIX) I was wondering how it works because it don't
>work at all. Nothing special happens after pressing ALT-v instead of ESC-v.
>ALT-v displays a "v" on the screen instead of scrolling back.
>Second - I have defined the COMPOSE Character Key on my Wyse 99 GT Terminal
>as Meta Key. But what happens - nothing. Same as above. Pressing Meta-v
>displays a v on the screen instead of scrolling back.

I have solved both problems by inserting "set meta-flag t" in my .emacs
file.

-Axel