[gnu.emacs] GNUemacs and Xwindows

dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) (09/19/89)

I want to know how to tell GNUemacs NOT to use Xwindows even
if I do have the DISPLAY environment variable set.  Does anyone know how?
thanks
dale

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (09/19/89)

In article <1797@convex.UUCP> dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) writes:

Dale> I want to know how to tell GNUemacs NOT to use Xwindows even if
Dale> I do have the DISPLAY environment variable set.  Does anyone
Dale> know how?
Dale> thanks
Dale> dale

In version 18.5[45] you can use either

	emacs -t
or
	emacs -nw

to get the behavior you desire (-t stands for 'terminal' and -nw
stands for 'no windows' they are equivalent.)

Enjoy!
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

boaz@Athena.MIT.EDU (Boaz P Ben-Zvi) (09/24/89)

---------------------------

> Dale> I want to know how to tell GNUemacs NOT to use Xwindows even if
> Dale> I do have the DISPLAY environment variable set.  Does anyone
> Dale> know how?
>
> In version 18.5[45] you can use either
>
> 	emacs -t
> or
> 	emacs -nw

My question: is there a way to do it without giving a command line
parameter (e.g. "-nw") ?
  set EDITOR=/usr/bin/X11/emacs
but no command line parameters can be given.
------------
Boaz Ben-Zvi
boaz@neutron.lcs.mit.edu

boaz@Athena.MIT.EDU (Boaz Ben-Zvi) (09/26/89)

"How can I bring up Emacs with no window without supplying
 command line parameters (like -nw)?"

 1) In your emacs window call server-start (possibly in your .emacs).
    then specify "emacsclient" as the editor. E.g.
	set EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacsclient
    Whenever the editor is needed (e.g. called by ucb mail or
    by latex), you can edit it in the existing emacs window.

 2) By unsetting the environment DISPLAY variable. E.g. put the
	#! /bin/csh -f
	set odis = $DISPLAY
	unsetenv DISPLAY
	/usr/bin/X11/xemacs
	setenv DISPLAY $odis

	#!/bin/sh
	exec emacs -nw $*

	set EDITOR=..../emacs-nw

--------------
Boaz Ben-Zvi
boaz@neutron.lcs.mit.edu
---------------------

*** Some lines were missing from my previous posting. Who wrote "xrn" ???

bob@primerd.prime.com (09/27/89)

>>In version 18.5[45] you can use either
>>
>>	emacs -t
>>or
>>	emacs -nw

Seems to me that the better thing would have been to have the default behavior
remain the same, and have a command line option to request the new behavior.

That way, old scripts, menus, etc. would have continued to work.

Bob Pellegrino
Prime Computer, Inc.