[gnu.emacs] substituting enscript for lpr

wine@retina.cs.ucla.edu (10/06/89)

What's the best way to use enscript instead of lpr?
Simply setting lpr-command isn't good enough because
emacs sends along some switches (in print-buffer and
print-region) that enscript doesn't interpret as lpr
does.

--David Wine
University of California at Los Angeles                        wine@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department                                      (213) 825-6121
3531 Boelter Hall           ...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!wine
Los Angeles, CA  90024

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/06/89)

In article <27809@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wine@retina.cs.ucla.edu (David Wine) writes:
>What's the best way to use enscript instead of lpr?
>Simply setting lpr-command isn't good enough because
>emacs sends along some switches (in print-buffer and
>print-region) that enscript doesn't interpret as lpr
>does.

Simple.  You  rewrite  print-region (since  print-buffer   just calls
print-region) to use enscript rather than lpr.

It will look basically like this (with miscellaneous stuff omitted):

(defun print-region (start end switches)
  (let ((width tab-width))
    (save-excursion
     (message "Spooling...")
     (apply 'call-process-region
	    (nconc (list start end "enscript"
			 nil nil nil
			 (concat "-J\"" (buffer-name) "\"")
		   switches))
     (message "Spooling...done"))))

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201