[net.games.rogue] How do you stand on a scroll?

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (01/02/85)

Here's an easy one...How do you stand on a scroll without picking it
up (Scare Monster, that is)? Don't you always pick it up? I have
version 5.5.

Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (01/03/85)

I'm posting this response because there are probably other players who
are not aware of this feature (I only found out about it recently).  In
5.3, the "m"ove command was added.  You say
	m<dir>
and you will move one step in the specified direction, without picking
up what is there.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (01/03/85)

> Here's an easy one...How do you stand on a scroll without picking it
> up (Scare Monster, that is)? Don't you always pick it up? I have
> version 5.5.
>
> Steve Pearse
> ihnp4!hound!pearse

most rogue's i've played allow you to move `m' onto anything except a trap
without picking it up.  PC Rogue by AI Systems doesn't, but then it is
brain-damaged in other ways too.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

rcook@uiucuxc.UUCP (01/03/85)

	I dont know about 5.5, but in 5.3 you <m>ove onto the scroll.

guy@sdcc12.UUCP (Guy A. Lewis) (01/04/85)

> I'm posting this response because there are probably other players who
> are not aware of this feature (I only found out about it recently).  In
> 5.3, the "m"ove command was added.  You say
> 	m<dir>
> and you will move one step in the specified direction, without picking
> up what is there.
> --
>     Barry Margolin
>     ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics
>     UUCP: ..!genrad!mit-eddie!barmar

  This is all well and fine if you happen to be playing 5.3, but what do
you do if your site also happens to support 5.2 that doesn't have the
"m" command?
--

	ihnp4	\
	akgva	 \

	All good things must come to an en....

gold@fortune.UUCP (Jeff Gold) (01/10/85)

> > Here's an easy one...How do you stand on a scroll without picking it
> > up (Scare Monster, that is)? Don't you always pick it up? I have
> > version 5.5.
> >
> > Steve Pearse
> > ihnp4!hound!pearse
>
> most rogue's i've played allow you to move `m' onto anything except a trap
> without picking it up.  PC Rogue by AI Systems doesn't, but then it is
> brain-damaged in other ways too.
>
> Herb Chong...
>
> I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....
>
> UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
> CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
> ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> NETNORTH, BITNET: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

Also, all you have to do, if you have a SM scroll in your pack
you can just drop it and you are standing on top of it. Don't
step off and and back on (which will attempt to pick it up) without
having a full pack; it will turn to dust. If your pack is full, you
can go on and off the scroll effectively.

           Jeffrey 'dragin' Gold

RAAN@TECHUNIX.BITNET (02/24/85)

From: raan@techunix.bitnet (Ran Ever-Hadani)

This is actually a posting attempt. hope it works.