[gnu.emacs] Purpose of the list

CARL%SCU.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (CARL FUSSELL) (10/16/89)

>> Uh.... excuse me, but I thought we created gnu.misc.discuss/gnu-misc-discuss
>> to keep this sort of message [from *either* side] out of the rest of the
>> gnu.* groups and mailing lists.

>Since they are the FSF's mailing lists, the FSF can use them any way it likes.

Gee...   and if you don't think the way I do, I'll take my ball and go
home.   Even better, perhaps we should begin censoring subversive messages
from the list?

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ.
CARL@SCU.BITNET

ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (10/16/89)

[Forwarding to gnu.misc.discuss]

In article CARL%SCU.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (CARL FUSSELL) writes:
>>In some article some unenlightened soul writes:
>>>writes: Uh.... excuse me, but I thought we created
>>>gnu.misc.discuss/gnu-misc-discuss to keep this sort of message
>>>[from *either* side] out of the rest of the gnu.* groups and
>>>mailing lists.
>>
>In some article RMS (Richard Stallman) writes:
>>Since they are the FSF's mailing lists, the FSF can use them any way
>>it likes.
>
>Gee...   and if you don't think the way I do, I'll take my ball and go
>home.   Even better, perhaps we should begin censoring subversive messages
>from the list?

You are confused.  This is a private mailing list (gnu.emacs) that
just happens to be gated into USENET.  Everyone has been invited to
join this mailing list (infact, I'm pretty sure the invitation is
still open for everyone to stay) but you have not been invited to post
messages that are not in compliance with FSF's main operating thrust.

FSF on the other hand, owning and controling the list, may do what
they wish with the list.  As RMS has stated in previous posts, ~"FSF
will not be passive in its attempts to rid the world of intelectual
properties"~.  He has chosen to post a political message dealing with
a company that currently is trying to do great harm to FSF's cause.
He is within his right to do so.

You are within your right to discuss this in gnu.misc.discuss OR start
your own mailing list.

Pax, Keith
--
 "It took no computation to dance to the rock 'n roll station" -- VU
  ag@cbmvax.commodore.com     Keith M. Gabryelski      ...!uunet!cbmvax!ag