[gnu.emacs] GNUemacs for the Mac

STICKLER@cc.helsinki.fi (10/11/89)

Does anyone know of a version of GNUemacs for the Macintosh?
(I have mEmacs, which is good, but has no LISP mode)

It might also help to know where I might obtain the source
code (I understand that it is PD?)

Thanks,

pms.

Patrick Stickler  University of Helsinki   stickler@hylka.helsinki.fi
   (BIX: nrc)     Nokia Research Center    stickler@pepper.rc.nokia.fi

plato@ele.tue.nl (plato) (10/16/89)

In article <908@cc.helsinki.fi> STICKLER@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>Does anyone know of a version of GNUemacs for the Macintosh?
>(I have mEmacs, which is good, but has no LISP mode)
>
>It might also help to know where I might obtain the source
>code (I understand that it is PD?)

Almost correct. All GNU software is distributed under the
copyleft invented by rms. Its about as restrictive as most
commercial licenses so its definitely not PD.
The big idea is that big brother stallman can keep control.

For example since he has a disagreement with (amongst others)
Apple, he wants to enforce you to not buy Apple computers
or use any of his software.

My advice to you is to port some version of emacs (I'm prepared
to send you our latest release) and distribute it to all
Apple users who are interested.
This may teach stallman to leave the users alone and mind his
own business.

Good luck
plato.ele.tue.nl
it to all Apple users you know

moore%cdr.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Tim Moore) (10/16/89)

In article <127@euteal.ele.tue.nl> plato@ele.tue.nl (plato) writes:
>In article <908@cc.helsinki.fi> STICKLER@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>Does anyone know of a version of GNUemacs for the Macintosh?

>>It might also help to know where I might obtain the source
>>code (I understand that it is PD?)
>
>Almost correct. All GNU software is distributed under the
>copyleft invented by rms. Its about as restrictive as most
>commercial licenses so its definitely not PD.
>The big idea is that big brother stallman can keep control.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Why don't you read
the copyleft?  I know it's harder work than flaming, but it would do
you some good.

>For example since he has a disagreement with (amongst others)
>Apple, he wants to enforce you to not buy Apple computers
>or use any of his software.

rms may desire this and refuse to support FSF products on Apple
machines, but he doesn't prevent you from porting the stuff or
distributing changes that make Emacs or anything else work on Macs.

>My advice to you is to port some version of emacs (I'm prepared
>to send you our latest release) and distribute it to all
>Apple users who are interested.
>This may teach stallman to leave the users alone and mind his
>own business.

Jesus Christ, he wrote the program! It's not his own business?  What
do you want from him that you can't have with Emacs? The ability to
sell it as your own product? There's no pleasing some people.

>Good luck
>plato.ele.tue.nl

Tim Moore                     moore@cs.utah.edu {bellcore,hplabs}!utah-cs!moore
"Ah, youth. Ah, statute of limitations."
		-John Waters

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (10/17/89)

In article <1989Oct16.144245.9918@hellgate.utah.edu> moore%cdr.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Tim Moore) writes:
>Jesus Christ, he wrote the program! It's not his own business?  What
>do you want from him that you can't have with Emacs? The ability to
>sell it as your own product? There's no pleasing some people.

Speaking of which, why the hell do Gosling & Unipress Et al. sell
emacs for money? Did they reverse engineer it or steal it?

and who is stupid enough to pay for it?

curious,

Joel Spolsky
Serf

plato@ele.tue.nl (plato) (10/18/89)

In article <2616@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>Speaking of which, why the hell do Gosling & Unipress Et al. sell
>emacs for money? Did they reverse engineer it or steal it?

I always thought that it was ok to sell gnu stuff as long as you provide
the sources.

By the way, what's wrong about reverse engineering gnu software.
rms does it all the time and I understand he feels that look and feel
cannot be copyrighted. E.g. fsf also copied the look and feel and
principles of yacc and rewrote it and then restricted its use
because of some parser skeleton evryone can write (shame on fsf).

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/19/89)

In article <1989Oct16.144245.9918@hellgate.utah.edu> moore%cdr.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Tim Moore) writes:
>In article <127@euteal.ele.tue.nl> plato@ele.tue.nl (plato) writes:
>You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Why don't you read
>the copyleft?  I know it's harder work than flaming, but it would do
>you some good.
>
>Jesus Christ, he wrote the program! It's not his own business?  What

Actually,  Stallman wrote it  - I guess  you don't  know  what you are
talking about. :^)

Seriously, take a pill.  You  are out  of   control.  He didn't  flame
anyone; you're the only one getting hot, and over  nothing too.  Get a
grip.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201