[net.games.rogue] Rust Monster

simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) (02/17/85)

I am playing v. 4.07 and one of the most annoying things there is the
Rust Monster, which destroys the armor.  So far I found yje only way to
fight them - with a scroll of genocide, but sure there should be
something less radical.  Does anybody know the way?

Leo Simon
decwrl!rhea!elwood!simon

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (K.LIU) (02/18/85)

Take off your armor!  Rust monsters cannot knock off your hp's.
(Therefore they can't affect anything with your armor off).

hou2e!ksl

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/18/85)

In article <604@decwrl.UUCP> simon@elwood.DEC writes:
>I am playing v. 4.07 and one of the most annoying things there is the
>Rust Monster, which destroys the armor.  So far I found yje only way to
>fight them - with a scroll of genocide, but sure there should be
>something less radical.  Does anybody know the way?
>
>Leo Simon
>decwrl!rhea!elwood!simon

a scroll of genocide is rather drastic, and there are more monsters that
rust armor besides a rust monster.  a scroll of protection should do it,
if your version is Advanced Rogue 4.07.  some versions (5.3 anyway) have
a ring of maintain armor.  BTW, there are other side effects to a scroll
of protection, but i'll leave them for you to discover.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (02/21/85)

[ ...problems with Rust Monsters ... ]

  Try puting on Leather Armor. Since it is not metal, Rust Monsters
can't hurt it. The disadvantage is that Leather Armor has a default
strength of 8.

  The tactic of removing your armor doesn't quite work. It requires
a turn to remove your armor during which the Rust Monster gets
a free swing at you.

edward

johnston@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/22/85)

Just 'cause I've never contributed to this group before...

	I wouldn't use a scroll of genocide on rust monsters.  Two
reasons:

	1. It's too rare and good to waste on wimpy monsters like
	   rust monsters.  Use it on something nastier.

	2. Rust monsters are worth better than average experience points
	   for moderately early monsters, and they're easy ones at that.
	   If you genocide them, you don't get the chance to collect.

Use the leather armor (non-rustable) on the early levels and hope for a
protect armor for your better suits before you get too deep.

- Gary Johnston

Department of Computer Science
1304 West Springfield Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801

Phone: (217) 333-8741
          or 333-4111

USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!johnston
CSNET:	johnston%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
ARPA:	johnston@uiuc.arpa

simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) (02/23/85)

Some time ago I posted a request for help - how to deal with rust
monster.  Thanks to everyone who bothered to answer.  However, quite a
few replies suggested to wear the leather armor.  RUST MONSTER AFFECTS
LEATHER ARMOR!  I tried to put it on as soon as I found one.  I even
enchanted it to +2.  Nothing helped.  Have you noticed the same?

Leo Simon
DEC

decwrl!rhea!elwood!simon

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (02/25/85)

> I am playing v. 4.07 and one of the most annoying things there is the
> Rust Monster, which destroys the armor.  So far I found yje only way to
> fight them - with a scroll of genocide, but sure there should be
> something less radical.  Does anybody know the way?
>
> Leo Simon
	There are only two things that I have found that work.
	Either you find a scroll of protection and protect your armor,
	or you take the armor off BEFORE he hits you. his strikes
	don't take any hit points away.

	 Annadiana Beaver
	A Beaver@Tektronix

		"I finally made #6 on our scoreboard for rogue7 !!!"

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/25/85)

In article <694@decwrl.UUCP> simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) writes:
>Some time ago I posted a request for help - how to deal with rust
>monster.  Thanks to everyone who bothered to answer.  However, quite a
>few replies suggested to wear the leather armor.  RUST MONSTER AFFECTS
>LEATHER ARMOR!  I tried to put it on as soon as I found one.  I even
>enchanted it to +2.  Nothing helped.  Have you noticed the same?
>
>Leo Simon
>DEC
>
>decwrl!rhea!elwood!simon

i have access to 4 versions of rogue, 3.6 hacked, PC rogue, 5.3, and advanced
rogue 2.0 hacked.  all versions except 3.6 seem to have various kinds of
rustproof armor like leather, padded, etc.  however, on my 3.6, leather
armor rusts too.  you just have to have several different armors and
change them around as neccessary until you get past the rust monsters.
if you are running a different version, then perhaps it has a design
oversight :-).  from my readings, it seems that only 3.6 should have this.
besides, the advanced rogues are so much more challenging that only
my rogomatic program plays 3.6.  our 5.3 was removed to make room for
advanced rogue 2.0.

miller@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Nancy Miller) (02/25/85)

> few replies suggested to wear the leather armor.  RUST MONSTER AFFECTS
> LEATHER ARMOR!  I tried to put it on as soon as I found one.  I even
> enchanted it to +2.  Nothing helped.  Have you noticed the same?

Rust monsters affect studded leather armor, but not the plain variety.

Nancy Miller
(miller@nlm-mcs.arpa)

 __ __
 <> <>

  `-'

Nancy Miller
(miller@nlm-mcs.arpa)

ray@utcsri.UUCP (Raymond Allen) (02/26/85)

> Just 'cause I've never contributed to this group before...
>
> 	I wouldn't use a scroll of genocide on rust monsters.  Two
> reasons:
>
> 	1. It's too rare and good to waste on wimpy monsters like
> 	   rust monsters.  Use it on something nastier.
>
> 	2. Rust monsters are worth better than average experience points
> 	   for moderately early monsters, and they're easy ones at that.
> 	   If you genocide them, you don't get the chance to collect.
>
> Use the leather armor (non-rustable) on the early levels and hope for a
> protect armor for your better suits before you get too deep.
>
> - Gary Johnston
>
> Department of Computer Science
> 1304 West Springfield Avenue
> Urbana, IL 61801
>
> Phone: (217) 333-8741
>           or 333-4111
>
> USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!johnston
> CSNET:	johnston%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
> ARPA:	johnston@uiuc.arpa

	Unfortunately Mr. Johnson has described an impossible scenario
for the standard versions of rogue anyway (3.6)(5.2)(5.3).

	Versions 3.6 and 5.2 have genocide scrolls but no protect armor
scrolls.  Version 5.3 has protect armor scrolls but no genocide scrolls.
So, unfortunately, "You can't genocide your rust monsters and protect your
armor too" (:-)).

	As a further note, the only possible use of a wand of cancellation
on a Medusa (v5.3) or Umber Hulk (v3.6 and v5.2) is to cancel it *before*
you can actually see it (this can only happen if you have previously
quaffed a potion of monster detection).  Once you see the nasty it will
either confuse you or it won't (depending upon the luck of your saving throw
against magic?).  Using the cancellation at this point is useless.  There
has even been some disagreement in the past about whether cancellation is
at all effective against such monsters.  I've never had a chance to check
this out myself.

*** MESS UP THIS LINE WITH YOUR REPLACEMENT ***

				Ray Allen
				utcsri!ray (new address!)

eugene@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (02/26/85)

In article <816@utcsri.UUCP> ray@utcsri.UUCP (Raymond Allen) writes:
>	As a further note, the only possible use of a wand of cancellation
>on a Medusa (v5.3) or Umber Hulk (v3.6 and v5.2) is to cancel it *before*
>you can actually see it ...
>Once you see the nasty it will
>either confuse you or it won't (depending upon the luck of your saving throw
>against magic?).  Using the cancellation at this point is useless.  There
>has even been some disagreement in the past about whether cancellation is
>at all effective against such monsters.  I've never had a chance to check
>this out myself.

Not quite.  The Umber Hulk / Medusa cofuses you not when you see it, but
rather during the first hit that it makes on you.
The determination as to whether you are confused or not is done at the
time of the first hit.  If the monster hits you and you are not confused,
then you will not be confused by that monster again (each monster gets one
chance to confuse you).

The wands of cancellation DO work against the Umber Hulks / Medusas.
From the above, it should be apparent that you can use that wand
with an excellent effect.  These two monsters are the worst by far in
all three versions of rogue (3.6, 5.2, 5.3), and if you get a chance
to do so, then genocide them first (in 3.6 & 5.2).

Disclaimer:  This does NOT apply to HACK.

--

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

mlm@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Michael Mauldin) (02/27/85)

Once again we have a disagreement on the net about the behavior of
Rogue -- PLEASE POST THE VERSION, FOLKS!

In version 3.6 of Rogue, leather armor rusts, as does all other armor.

In version 5.2 & 5.3 of Rogue, leather will not rust (but all other armor
will).

I do not know about the other versions of Rogue.

Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		Department of Computer Science
Mauldin@CMU-CS-CAD.ARPA			Carnegie-Mellon University
(412) 578-3065				Pittsburgh, PA  15213

acsccjk@sunybcs.UUCP (Chris Kracik) (02/27/85)

> Some time ago I posted a request for help - how to deal with rust
> monster.  Thanks to everyone who bothered to answer.  However, quite a
> few replies suggested to wear the leather armor.  RUST MONSTER AFFECTS
> LEATHER ARMOR!  I tried to put it on as soon as I found one.  I even
> enchanted it to +2.  Nothing helped.  Have you noticed the same?

  to prevent the rust monster (aquator in newer versions) you must get a
scroll of protect armor (your armor is covered by a shimmering GOLD
shield).  this will prevent rust monsters and rust traps from doing
damage to your armor.

  only once did i find armor pre-protected, and they didn't even tell
me, i found out when a rust monster hit.

  the best thing to do is, as soon as you see a rust monster, take off
your armor, and then kill it.  also, keep on your second best armor
so your best isn't ruined...but, put on your best before you read
a scroll, just in case the scroll is a protect armor.

        happy roguing!!

                                  chris 'HE-MAN' kracik
                                  @ Castle Grey Skull

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (02/27/85)

> few replies suggested to wear the leather armor.  RUST MONSTER AFFECTS
> LEATHER ARMOR!  I tried to put it on as soon as I found one.  I even
> enchanted it to +2.  Nothing helped.  Have you noticed the same?
> Leo Simon

	Yes.	That's why 'I' didn't suggest it.
	Look for that scroll of protection.

	 Annadiana Beaver            ~l\
	A Beaver@Tektronix           /l \
				   _/_l__\
				wwwwwwwwwwwwww

simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) (03/01/85)

Thank you all for your messages on how to fight rust monsters.  It
turned out that v. 4.07, which I play, has a bug.  Rust monster does
"rust" plain leather armor.  So in this version simple remedies are not
sufficient.

Leo Simon
DEC
decwrl!rhea!elwood!simon