[net.games.rogue] Rogue Wizard Commands

ee173bl (11/24/82)

	Due to popular demand (and lack of anything better to do) I have
herein typed an exhaustive list of the current commands available
under the 3.7 Rogue game when in wizard mode (a non-wizard command is
included for general interest..);

	@	-	print hero.y hero.x
	C	-	create object (see below)
	^I	-	inventory the level...	(^ means 'CNTL')
	^W	-	identify a given object
	^D	-	go down a level
	^U	-	go up a level
	^F	-	show current level map (+ features)
	^X	-	show current level monsters..
	^T	-	teleport to random location on level
	^E	-	show food left
	^A	-	show things in the pack
	^C	-	change password (wizard)
	^N	-	charge an item (stick)
	^H	-	raise Rogue 10 levels, giving him some neat stuff.

	-----------------

	A	-	(normal command) change repeat factor for applicable
			commands such as 'h','j','k','l' etcterea.

	Concerning the create command for you wizards out there, the program
will prompt you (rather cryptically) with 'type of item:' which should be
answered by typing the CHARACTER REPRESENTATION of the object that you
want (example: '?' for a scroll).
	The next prompt is for a specific one, the legal range being
0 - F and what each one is remains a question that I shall not answer here..
(perhaps later...contact me) anyway, if all works out okay, the program
should then say 'got a scroll entitiled hfdsaoruewhfdjslfdsasd' etc...

	NOTE: I have noticed that the scroll is the only thing that Create
actually creates properly - if you try to create a potion, for example, it
will say that you have a potion of {stick type} and upon identification
you will find that the object has a stick attribute!  rather bizarre behaviour!

	Final disclaimer; use these commands at your own risk - I hereby
deny all knowledge of the enclosed et al.

					--  Dave   Taylor

					..sdcsvax!sdccsu3!ee173bl

[dat]

wtm@bunker.UUCP (William T. McGarry) (03/01/85)

I've seen many questions about the wizard's password in rogue and
what can be done when you are the wizard.

I don't know what the wizard's password is and I don't have any source
but it's easy enough to zap the object code to skip checking for a valid
password (or use adb).  The version of rogue I am using is the
"5.3 - Mr. McTesq" version, running on a Fortune 68000.

To get to the password prompt, use a control P.  Once you are the wizard, you
will see the message:

"You are suddenly as smart as Ken Arnold in dungeon # 47736351"

Every monster on this level is then shown highlighted.  If you would
normally be able to see the monster (e.g., the monster is in a lighted
room with you), the monster will not be highlighted.  Each level is created
with a certain number of monsters but after a while new monsters are created.
While the original monsters may or may not be sleeping, the new monsters
always start roaming as soon as they are created.  Whenever a monster is
created, a message will appear "Started a wandering Kobold".

You are still as vunerable as always when you are the wizard but there
are some special wizard commands which will get you out of any trouble.
Just some of the things you can do are:
  --create various potions, staffs, weapons, armor, scrolls, etc.
  --Increase your Hp and experience level.
  --Move up on down levels without stairs.
  --Randomly teleport around the level.
  --Show the entire level with rooms, passageways, magic items, etc.

Now before I start getting flames about how unsportsmanlike it is to
become the wizard, etc, etc, let me say how I feel about it:
  --Once you are the wizard, your game score does not count anymore.
  --It is an excellent way to work out some fighting strategies.  Want
    to practice fighting purple worms??  As the wizard, you can skip
    right down to the purple worm levels and try various weapons, potions,
    staffs, etc.
  --It's just plain interesting.

The wizard commands are:

^A	Gives the number of things in your pack
^B	--
^C	--
^D	Go down one level (can be preceded by a number)
^E	Gives the units of food that are left.
^F	This shows the entire level with all passageways, rooms and treasures
	Traps are shown by highlighting.  Once you press "space", everything
	is back to the way it was before.
^G	This just shows the passageways but they will remain visible.
^H	This raises you by 10 levels, gives you a +1, +1 two handed sword,
	+8 plate mail (A.C. -5), Hp of 50 and an experience level of 10/2561.
	Be careful, using this more than once can actually put your
	HP into the negative range (at least on my machine).
^I	Lists all of the potions, weapons, etc on this level.  Any gold
	shows up as "something bizarre".  If you have previously identified
	any items, they will show up as such.
^J	--
^K	--
^L	Redraws the screen as usual.
^M	--
^N	Will charge the wand/staff of your choosing with 10,000 charges.
^O	--
^P	No longer wizard.
^Q	--
^R	--
^S	--
^T	Random teleport around this level.
^U	Up one level (may be preceded by a number)
^V	--
^W	Identify any scroll, wand, potion, ring in your possession.
^X	Toggle to display or not display all monsters.
^Y	--
^Z	--

C	Allows you to create various rings, wands, etc.

This last command, "C", will first ask you for the type of item
(i.e., "?" for scroll), then will ask you for a choice from "0"
through "f".  These always remain constant.  Choosing "0" scroll
will always give you a scroll of monster confusion.  For certain items,
such as armor, some rings, and weapons, you will then be asked for
a "blessing".  "+" will give you a better item, "-" a worse item and "n"
will be somewhere in between.

You can create virtually anything.  You can create stairs, trapdoors,
walls, and even gold.  For these types of items that are not normally
in your pack, once you create it, the message "Picked up something
bizarre" will appear.  You can then drop the item and it is then available
for use.  For example if you create gold, you will be asked "how much".
You will then get the "bizarre" message.  Drop the gold (which is listed
as "something bizarre -*-" in your pack), move off that square and then
back on.  You then pick up the gold as you normally would.

Some of the choices are dangerous and when you choose them, you will
get the message "Picked up a (null)" or some other type garbage.  On
my machine, this occasionally hung the terminal.  These invalid choices
are indicated in the tables below as "(null)".

Other items that can be created are listed below:

Choice     Scrolls		Staffs			Potions
0	Monster confusion	Light			Confusion
1	Magic mapping		Striking		Paralysis
2	Lightning		Hold monster		Poison
3	Sleep			Fire			Gain strength
4	Enchant armor		Cold			See invisible
5	Identify		Polymorph		Healing
6	Scare monster		Magic missle		Monster detection
7	Gold detection		Haste monster		Magic detection
8	Teleportation		Slow monster		Raise level
9	Enchant weapon		Drain life		Extra healing
a	Create monster		Staff of nothing	Extra healing
b	Remove curse		Teleport away		Haste self
c	Aggravate monsters	Teleport to		Restore stength
d	Blank paper		Cancellation		Thirst quenching
e	Vorpalize weapon	(null)			(null)
f	(null)			(null)			(null)

Choice     Armor               Weapons                  Rings
0	Leather			Mace 			Protection
	+2, AC 6		+2, +0			+1
	-3, AC 11		-1, +0			-1

1	Ring mail		Long sword		Add strength
	+1, AC 6		+3, +0			+2
	-2, AC 9		-3, +0			-1

2	Studded leather		Short bow		Sustain strength
	+3, AC 4		+3, +0

3	Scale			Arrows			Searching
	+2, AC 4		+1, +0
	-1, AC 7		-2, +0

4	Chain			Dagger			See invisible
	+1, AC 4		+1, +0
	-2, AC 7		-2, +0

5	Splint			2 handed sword		Adornment
	+1, AC 3		+2, +0
	-3, AC 7		-1, +0

6	Banded			Darts			Aggravate monster
	+1, AC 3		+2, +0
	-3, AC 7		-1, +0

7	Plate			Crossbow		Dexterity
	+1, AC 2		+2, +0			+1
	-3, AC 7		-1, +0			-1

8	(null)			Spear			Increase damage
				+3, +0			+1
				-3, +0			-1

9	(null)			(null)			Regeneration
a	(null)			(null)			Slow digestion
b	(null)			(null)			Teleportation
c	(null)			(null)			Stealth
d	(null)			(null)			Maintain armor
e	(null)			(null)			(null)
f	(null)			(null)			(null)

Bill McGarry		Bunker Ramo, Trumbull, CT

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (03/02/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE MONSTER ***

Something that people should know.  Unless you have hacked the
source, then if your program allows wizard mode, NO scores
are posted to the scorefile.  Thus, if rogue is compiled with
the -DWIZARD flag, all scoring is disabled using an #ifdef WIZARD
construct.  Of course if you have hacked the source, all this
discussin becomes null and void.

Just as a feeler question, I have a hacked version of 5.2
that has Doctor Who monsters and magic items.  If you're interested,
we may be able to arrange something.

Jeff Okamoto
..!ucbvax!okamoto
okamoto%ucbvax@Berkeley.ARPA

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/02/85)

In article <739@bunker.UUCP> wtm@bunker.UUCP (William T. McGarry) writes:
>Now before I start getting flames about how unsportsmanlike it is to
>become the wizard, etc, etc, let me say how I feel about it:
>  --Once you are the wizard, your game score does not count anymore.
>  --It is an excellent way to work out some fighting strategies.  Want
>    to practice fighting purple worms??  As the wizard, you can skip
>    right down to the purple worm levels and try various weapons, potions,
>    staffs, etc.
>  --It's just plain interesting.

although it's primarily a debugging tool, i also use the wiazrd's password
for these purposes.  advanced rogue 2.0 lets the person installing the
game to set his own password and i happen to know it.  since the score
is not logged, there's no harm done but is really useful for doing things
like finding out exactly how hard it is to beat up on a nasty ancient
blue dragon.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu