[net.followup] On American involvement/defense of Europe

cmt@myrias.UUCP (Chris Thomson) (04/28/86)

In article <95@wheaton> upus@wheaton (Jeff Clark) writes:
> In article <141@drutx.UUCP> bep@drutx.UUCP (PuryearB) writes:
> > I would just love to see us pull evey
> >troop we have in Europe back. I think its time for us to worry about out
> >borders and the hell with Europe.
> > (and if we did this..) we could get rid of our national debt and make
> >America a much better place to
> >live.
>
> ...  Aside from certain moral obligations to defend our Allies, (of which I
> believe there are many), at the very least America has very good economic
> reasons for defending Europe.

Indeed there are.  Ninty percent of the funds spent by NATO on defense
equipment are spent in the US.  This in spite of defense sharing agreements
between the NATO countries that encourage defense industry outside the US.
--
Chris Thomson, Myrias Research Corporation	   ihnp4!alberta!myrias!cmt
200 10328 81 Ave, Edmonton Alberta, Canada	   403 432 1616