[gnu.emacs] Rmail

ix561@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (MONSTER) (04/13/89)

Last time I posted a question about the c-s key. Thanks very much to
those who replied.   I got another problem here:

when I invoke Rmail in Emacs, it's supposed to copy my mbox to
RMAIL, but it actually moves mbox(in UNIX format) to Rmail so that
I cannot use UNIX command to read the old mails now.  I'd prefer use
UNIX mail more often,  what can I do about this?  I cannot recover
the mbox into UNIX format now.(well, I could edit it to change it
back, but it's not a small file.)

Please email your answers.  Your help is appreciated.

Wen

jayaprak@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jayaprakash Krishnamoorthy) (11/18/89)

Is there any way to have the RMAIL file located in a directory other
than the HOME directory? Looks like the path is hardcoded in the
variable rmail-file-name. Thanks in advance.

-Jayaprakash

gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory N. Shapiro) (11/19/89)

jayaprak> Is there any way to have the RMAIL file located in a directory other
jayaprak> than the HOME directory? Looks like the path is hardcoded in the
jayaprak> variable rmail-file-name. Thanks in advance.

Here is the syntax:

(setq rmail-file-name (expand-file-name "~/.rmail"))

Put the path inside the quotes (which are necessary)

					Greg

 Gregory Shapiro                                              Gregory Shapiro
 Worcester Polytechnic Institute              Worcester Polytechnic Institute
 gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (130.215.24.1)                                 Box 1397
 gshapiro@wpi.bitnet                                       100 Institute Road
 GEnie: GShapiro                               Worcester, Massachusetts 01609
 MacNet: GShapiro                                               United States

pjnesser@fenchurch.mit.edu (Philip John Nesser) (11/20/89)

In article <1976@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jayaprak@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jayaprakash Krishnamoorthy) writes:

>Is there any way to have the RMAIL file located in a directory other
>than the HOME directory? Looks like the path is hardcoded in the
>variable rmail-file-name. Thanks in advance.

Try putting:

(setq rmail-file-name (expand-file-name "~Mail/RMAIL"))

in your .emacs file, where ~/Mail/RMAIL is where mine lives.  You can put
it wherever you want.

---> Philip J. Nesser
Student Staff Software Engineer
MIT EECS Educational Computer Facility

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/20/89)

In article <1976@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jayaprak@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jayaprakash Krishnamoorthy) writes:

>Is there any way to have the RMAIL file located in a directory other
>than the HOME directory? Looks like the path is hardcoded in the
>variable rmail-file-name. Thanks in advance.
>
>-Jayaprakash

Yeah, if you  set the variable rmail-inbox-list  to a list of strings,
each string designating a file to check for new mail.  The file can be
in either Babyl, UNIX or any other format  RMAIL  can translate.  This
variable has to be set in your rmail-mode-hook, though.

On a somewhat different note, is  there anyway to  detect, on a Sun/3,
when the Emacstool is opened  and trigger RMAIL to automatically "get"
new mail?  Pretty handy...

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201