[gnu.emacs] time display in mode line

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (11/20/89)

Can someone send me a copy of the code used to cause GNU to display the
current time on the mode line.  I've seen this done in GosEmacs, and I'm
next to certain that Gnu can do it too.  Am I right?  Or is it just a
pipe dream?

A speedy response would be appreciated....

iain

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (11/20/89)

Someone responded with M-x display time (which works wonderfully...)
Now, how do I set up my .emacs file so that it loads automatically?
Also, whatever in the world does the information it displays stand
for?  I mean given (11:06pm 0.62[5]) I realize that 11:06pm is the
time. but what is 0.62[5]?  Curious....

iain

pjnesser@fenchurch.mit.edu (Philip John Nesser) (11/20/89)

In article <sZNq4mK00W0I83eXtY@andrew.cmu.edu> jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) writes:
>Can someone send me a copy of the code used to cause GNU to display the
>current time on the mode line.  I've seen this done in GosEmacs, and I'm
>next to certain that Gnu can do it too.  Am I right?  Or is it just a
>pipe dream?
>
>A speedy response would be appreciated....

(setq display-time-day-and-date t)

Should do it.  (Put that in your .emacs file)

---> Philip J. Nesser
Student Staff Software Engineer
MIT EECS Educational Computer Facility

mujica@ra.cs.ucla.edu (S. Mujica) (11/20/89)

on 20 Nov 89 04:07:41 GMT,
jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) said:

> Someone responded with M-x display time (which works wonderfully...)
> Now, how do I set up my .emacs file so that it loads automatically?
> Also, whatever in the world does the information it displays stand
> for?  I mean given (11:06pm 0.62[5]) I realize that 11:06pm is the
> time. but what is 0.62[5]?  Curious....

> iain

Try C-h f display-time to get more information.  You may also try to
read the emacs on-line manual.  Type M-x info and choose the Emacs
entry from the menu.

Sergio Mujica		mujica@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (11/20/89)

In article <MZNrWBu00Vo9AB_XNv@andrew.cmu.edu> jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) writes:

> Someone responded with M-x display time (which works wonderfully...)
> Now, how do I set up my .emacs file so that it loads automatically?
> Also, whatever in the world does the information it displays stand
> for?  I mean given (11:06pm 0.62[5]) I realize that 11:06pm is the
> time. but what is 0.62[5]?  Curious....
>

> iain

the 0.62 (in your case) is the load avg. of your machine.  the [5] is some
disk ratio, and I have never been able to make any sence of it.   What I
did is modify the display time filter to remove this.   While my own
version of loadst would be more efficient, I move my .emacs all over the
place, so did it this way.
--
{...}!rutgers!mende         mende@cs.rutgers.edu          mende@zodiac.bitnet