[gnu.emacs] unexec.c for gnuemacs for Ardent System V

jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jingbai Wang) (12/03/89)

I have been attempting to install emacs(es) on Ardent mini-super computer
that runs AT & T System V Release 3.0 (Ardent UNIX 2.1.1). I tried GnuEmacs
version 18.55. In config.h, I chose suitable system and machine. However,
until almost the end, I could make none of the unex*.c to compile for
unexec.c. Has anybody out there hacked a `unexec.c' for a sys5-3?

I also tried MicroEmacs, I got things to compile after quite some hassle.
But when it is invoked, the screen can't stop blinking. I checked ttopen,
and TTopen and ..., but could not figure out what was wrong. If it only
brinks, I could set the terminal mode to normal, but the characters
displayed are also wrong. Anybody with experience in that?

Thanks in advance.

JB Wang
jbw@unix.cis.pitt.edu
jbw@pittvms.bitnet

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (12/03/89)

In article <20978@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jingbai  Wang) writes:
>I have been attempting to install emacs(es) on Ardent mini-super computer
>that runs AT & T System V Release 3.0 (Ardent UNIX 2.1.1). I tried GnuEmacs
>version 18.55. In config.h, I chose suitable system and machine. However,
>until almost the end, I could make none of the unex*.c to compile for
>unexec.c. Has anybody out there hacked a `unexec.c' for a sys5-3?

Mike McNamara of Ardent (mac@ardent.com) has made the changes to Emacs so
it will compile and run on the Ardent Titan.  Send him email at the
address above to get the changes.  It works great!

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

mac@ardent.com (12/04/89)

In article <3748@orion.cf.uci.edu> iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
(Mike Iglesias) writes:

>  In article <20978@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jingbai  Wang) writes:
>  >I have been attempting to install emacs(es) on Ardent mini-super computer
>  >that runs AT & T System V Release 3.0 (Ardent UNIX 2.1.1). I tried GnuEmacs
>  >version 18.55. In config.h, I chose suitable system and machine. However,
>  >until almost the end, I could make none of the unex*.c to compile for
>  >unexec.c. Has anybody out there hacked a `unexec.c' for a sys5-3?
>
>  Mike McNamara of Ardent (mac@ardent.com) has made the changes to Emacs so
>  it will compile and run on the Ardent Titan.  Send him email at the
>  address above to get the changes.  It works great!
				(thanks mike!) [we are not related, honest!]

>  Mike Iglesias
>  University of California, Irvine

	I've sent Jingbai the diffs to 18.55 that I sent this list
last summer.

	One should also be aware that Stardent ( we used to be called
Ardent), like many vendors, supplies GNU programs and public domain
programs in source and already-configured-and-compiled form.  Contact
your vendor and ask them if they have a "freebie" tape.

	-mac

Michael McNamara	(St)ardent, Inc.		mac@ardent.com

--
Michael McNamara	(St)ardent, Inc.		mac@ardent.com