[gnu.emacs] loadst

anderson@SAPIR.COG.JHU.EDU (12/28/89)

A while ago there was some discussion about how to make loadst behave
correctly. Something about the way the permissions are set, as I
recall. At the time, I did what was indicated and forgot about it. Now
I've rebuilt emacs (18.55 on a Sun 4/110, OS 4.0.1) without having
saved everything I should have, and I can't recall how to fix loadst.
My emacs proudly displays "load and time" in the modeline instead of
displaying the load and the time. Can someone help me fix this?

Thanks,

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu
anderson@cs.jhu.edu
anderson@csli.stanford.edu

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/28/89)

In <8912271900.AA05564@sapir.COG.JHU.EDU> anderson@SAPIR.COG.JHU.EDU writes:
> A while ago there was some discussion about how to make loadst behave
> correctly. Something about the way the permissions are set, as I
> recall.

loadst should be in your exec-path somewhere (typically PATH from your
environment plus the Emacs etc/ directory) and be able to read
/dev/kmem in order to display load and disk information.  The latter
is usually accomplished by putting loadst in the same group as
/dev/kmem, making the executable setgid and making /dev/kmem readable
by the group.

turing:tale (22) ls -lg etc/loadst /dev/kmem
crw-r-----  1 root     kmem       3,   1 Aug  3  1988 /dev/kmem
-rwxr-sr-x  1 src      kmem        24576 Oct 24  1988 etc/loadst

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))