[net.games.rogue] Stupid srogue 2.0 bug carried over from 5.3

alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) (03/01/85)

That is, the "fight" bug.  I was a MU, 12th level, cruising along pretty
well, when I ht a maze level.  This is the time to be an MU; use your
map spell, find monsters, and find treasure spell.  BUT DON'T ATTACK Cs!
I decided the points (and possible treasure) were well worth the effort,
so I went up to a C (gelatinous cube) and hacked on him.  I had my best
armour, protect ring, etc., on, but he paralyzed me.  Even that would
have been recoverable, except that I had used the "fight" command
(rather than "Fight", which does so until one of you are dead), so when
I became un-paralysed I should have stopped.  Instead I went right on
and got killed.

Solutions?  Don't use "f" on things.  Keep your finger on the <esc> key
if you do.

Stupid game.  If only I could ever win.....

Alex

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/03/85)

In article <706@sdcsvax.UUCP> alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>I had my best
>armour, protect ring, etc., on, but he paralyzed me.  Even that would
>have been recoverable, except that I had used the "fight" command
>(rather than "Fight", which does so until one of you are dead), so when
>I became un-paralysed I should have stopped.  Instead I went right on
>and got killed.
>
>Solutions?  Don't use "f" on things.  Keep your finger on the <esc> key
>if you do.
>
>Stupid game.  If only I could ever win.....
>
>Alex

but you can stop it.  hit BREAK or DEL (RUBOUT) and it asks you if
you really want to quit.  it also stops fighting.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) (03/07/85)

Either our version of srogue 2.0 is buggy, or I'm just too slow.  I
tried to stop the "f" command with alternate hits of the <esc> and <del>
keys, but to no avail.

Then, there was the time that got me to #8 on the list, with really
awesome armor; shame that I only had 80 hits......Theives are really
great with 26 DEX (28 with the 2 added DEX rings; AC -12 with the
protection rings).  Shame that they're not really proof against acid and
ice blasts, or I'd prolly  be a "total winner".  I didn't make the
mistake this time of using "f" or underestimating monsters.

I also discovered some very interesting things about P (black
pudding)s.  If you're a good thief and can set traps, set a trapdoor.
Goodbye Ps!  If you do this, though, the little forest creatures (joke,
joke) may take away all the neat treasures that were waiting for you.  I
guess the moral is not to bother Ps if you can help it.

High DEX is great--lets you ripoff anything.  Shame that confuse
monsters doesn't work on the quartermaster; I only got one itme from him
at a time.

I discovered also how to rip off trading posts, at least kind of.  If
you're up to full # of items (and who isn't?) you can buy an item and
not actually get it, then you can drop something useless and not use up
another transaction.  Then you can decide whether or not to actually pick up
the first item and use up your $.  Note that this DOES use up a single
transaction, but NOT a bunch of $ on really useless magic.

Has anyone found a correlation between cursedness and price in a trading
post?  I usually mark my items with what their price would have been in
a 'post.  Some of them he won't buy (which to me means cursed).

The thing I always wish for is an enchant scorll, since my armour is
NEVER good enough.  Even +12 plate will still get caught by the really
awful baddies' blasts.  (se above).  DSEX 26 and protections rings will
make you pretty proof against other baddies;  DEX 26 let me rip off the
lesser daemons.

Does anyone know what a blessed scroll of scare mosnters does?  Can you
pick it up again?
I see where the cursed type can't even be picked up--even more of a
reason for you Never to pick up scare monster scrolls until you're
done with that level.  There isn't any way to uncurse them, either,
as far as I can tell (unless there's a wand of remove curse).

What does a blessed scroll of protect do?  Protect everything in your
pack?  A blessed scroll of remove curse does just that.  What about a
blessed wand of teleport away?  Kill the baddie?  (Gee, if it worked on
the quartermaster that'd be baaaad news. I wonder how many points you'd
get for killing him?)

Alex

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/10/85)

In article <720@sdcsvax.UUCP> alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>Either our version of srogue 2.0 is buggy, or I'm just too slow.  I
>tried to stop the "f" command with alternate hits of the <esc> and <del>
>keys, but to no avail.
hmmm.  i used to use 'f' all the time when all we had around here was 5.3.
i tended to let my hit points get too low and ended getting killed.
now, with advanced rogue 2.0,  i never use fight because i find that i usually
have enough magic and things to keep my options open.

>Then, there was the time that got me to #8 on the list, with really
>awesome armor; shame that I only had 80 hits......Theives are really
>great with 26 DEX (28 with the 2 added DEX rings; AC -12 with the
>protection rings).  Shame that they're not really proof against acid and
>ice blasts, or I'd prolly  be a "total winner".  I didn't make the
>mistake this time of using "f" or underestimating monsters.
there are some versions that have acid proof armor and a ring of acid
resistance (also fire, cold, and lightning resistance).

>I also discovered some very interesting things about P (black
>pudding)s.  If you're a good thief and can set traps, set a trapdoor.
>Goodbye Ps!  If you do this, though, the little forest creatures (joke,
>joke) may take away all the neat treasures that were waiting for you.  I
>guess the moral is not to bother Ps if you can help it.
the best things to use against black puddings, in my experience, has been
wands of cancellation or wands of disintegration.  if you really are
desperate, a wand of antimatter works too, but you don't get experience
points for killing the monster and you lose all the things inside it.
otherwise, run like hell, teleport yourself or them away, or use phasing to
get arouns them.

>High DEX is great--lets you ripoff anything.  Shame that confuse
>monsters doesn't work on the quartermaster; I only got one itme from him
>at a time.
i have been told it is possible to paralyse a quartermaster.  i wonder if
a blessed scroll of hold monster (or even an ordinary one) would work.
i am fairly sure that you can't hit one with a wand of paralysis.

>I discovered also how to rip off trading posts, at least kind of.  If
>you're up to full # of items (and who isn't?) you can buy an item and
>not actually get it, then you can drop something useless and not use up
>another transaction.  Then you can decide whether or not to actually pick up
>the first item and use up your $.  Note that this DOES use up a single
>transaction, but NOT a bunch of $ on really useless magic.
there is at least one copy of advanced rogue 2.0 that doesn't have this
feature (bug), ours.  so, one has to memorize (or write down), the
table of worth of objects and take it from there.

>Has anyone found a correlation between cursedness and price in a trading
>post?  I usually mark my items with what their price would have been in
>a 'post.  Some of them he won't buy (which to me means cursed).
the price of a cursed object is half what it would have been uncursed.

>The thing I always wish for is an enchant scorll, since my armour is
>NEVER good enough.  Even +12 plate will still get caught by the really
>awful baddies' blasts.  (se above).  DSEX 26 and protections rings will
>make you pretty proof against other baddies;  DEX 26 let me rip off the
>lesser daemons.

>Does anyone know what a blessed scroll of scare mosnters does?  Can you
>pick it up again?
>I see where the cursed type can't even be picked up--even more of a
>reason for you Never to pick up scare monster scrolls until you're
>done with that level.  There isn't any way to uncurse them, either,
>as far as I can tell (unless there's a wand of remove curse).
you can use a blessed one twice.  it becomes normal as soon as you drop
it and a normal scare monster scroll becomes cursed when you drop it.

>What does a blessed scroll of protect do?  Protect everything in your
>pack?  A blessed scroll of remove curse does just that.  What about a
>blessed wand of teleport away?  Kill the baddie?  (Gee, if it worked on
>the quartermaster that'd be baaaad news. I wonder how many points you'd
>get for killing him?)
where did you get a blessed scroll of protection, by enchanting it?  it
should be exactly the same as a normal scroll or protection.  a normal
wand of teleport monster zaps it to another room.  a blessed on sends
it far, far away, never to return.  it is possible to kill a quartermaster,
as someone pointed out to me, but he/she/it returns eventually.  there's
more than one and they don't remember these things (now there's an idea,
if you kill a quatermaster, every other one you run into will sell
70% cursed items and charge 3 times as much).