[gnu.emacs] Mail packages

tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) (01/20/90)

I am thinking of changing to some Emacs mail package than RMAIL/mail.
I'm particularly interested in packages that read some kind of rc file
to set up things like extra header lines rather than having to redefine
functions, and packages that make it easy to keep mail in many files
rather than one huge file with labels.  It would be nice if they spoke
RMAIL format files, though not essential.

Anyone have experience of any of the other packages?
--tim

peter@orfeo.radig.de (Peter Radig) (01/21/90)

tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) writes:
>I am thinking of changing to some Emacs mail package than RMAIL/mail.
>I'm particularly interested in packages that read some kind of rc file
>to set up things like extra header lines rather than having to redefine
>functions, and packages that make it easy to keep mail in many files
>rather than one huge file with labels.  It would be nice if they spoke
>RMAIL format files, though not essential.

Since a few months I use MH-6.6 together with the supplied emacs-interface.
It's great and allows all the fine things you requested.

It's only one little problem: MH is *very* big - the binaries on my system
(i386) are stripped about 4 MB.

Peter
--
Peter Radig