[gnu.emacs] "M-x shell" gives ^M characters.

pai@cs.yale.edu (A. Satish Pai) (02/03/90)

When using the "shell" command in Emacs, I find that each line of output in
the shell buffer has a "^M" tagged on at the end. Also, any input that I
type is echoed on another line, with a couple of "^M" characters tagged on.
This is irritating, to say the least. I suppose it has something to do with
the way Unix and Emacs interact. How do I get rid of the unwanted stuff?

Another question: Is there any piece of code out there (talk.el??) which
lets the user carry on a talk session from inside Emacs?

If these questions have been asked before by others, please e-mail me the
answers instead of posting.

Satish.
pai@cs.yale.edu                    This must be the most spartan .sig file ever

kondaman@aludra.usc.edu (Arjun Krishna Kondamani) (02/03/90)

In article <PAI.90Feb2204510@monkey.cs.yale.edu> pai@cs.yale.edu writes:

>When using the "shell" command in Emacs, I find that each line of output in
>the shell buffer has a "^M" tagged on at the end. Also, any input that I
>type is echoed on another line, with a couple of "^M" characters tagged on.
>This is irritating, to say the least. I suppose it has something to do with
>the way Unix and Emacs interact. How do I get rid of the unwanted stuff?

I too have the same problem. I have also observed that this occurs esp.
when large amounts of text have to be scrolled on the screen. E.g. 'ls
/usr/spool/mail' would do it.

--Arjun
kondaman@castor.usc.edu@usc.edu 213-746-1151 (evening) 213-743-2666 (day)

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you
nothing. It was here first. -- Mark Twain

csmith@convex.com (Chris Smith) (02/04/90)

>When using the "shell" command in Emacs, I find that each line of output in
>the shell buffer has a "^M" tagged on at the end. Also, any input that I
>type is echoed on another line, with a couple of "^M" characters tagged on.

Try "stty -echo litout" or "stty -echo -opost" .

If you are using tcsh, this won't work -- it "fixes" your "error" every time
it types a prompt.  You can't use tcsh under emacs.

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (02/04/90)

In article <5135@convex.convex.com> csmith@convex.com (Chris Smith) writes:
>If you are using tcsh, this won't work -- it "fixes" your "error" every time
>it types a prompt.  You can't use tcsh under emacs.

You can in fact use tcsh under Emacs, by putting the following in .cshrc:

    if ($?tcsh && $?EMACS) unset edit

--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University