[gnu.emacs] Sharing two versions of EMACS

peters@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank W. Peters) (02/06/90)

Hello,

    I am a non-emacs-user who is trying to install emacs on our Sun system
for several users.

    I want to install both a x-windows and a strait terminal version.  I
have installed the X version with no problem.  I then removed the
HAVE_X_WINDOWS option from config.h and compiled a new executable.

    It seems to work fine except that the arrow keys are not bound to
next-line etc.  Local emacs users assure me that this should be happening.

    So, my question.  How do people out there share the etc, lisp and such
files between the two copies?  Do I really need seperate sets of these
directories for the two executables?

Thanks
--Frank

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (02/06/90)

In article <PETERS.90Feb5182650@jester.CC.MsState.Edu>, peters@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank W. Peters) writes:
>     I want to install both a x-windows and a strait terminal version.  I
> have installed the X version with no problem.  I then removed the
> HAVE_X_WINDOWS option from config.h and compiled a new executable.

Why have two versions? The X-Window version will detect whether the DISPLAY
environment is X-Windows and bring up the default tty server
(termcap) support if necessary. The X-Winodw code size is pretty
negligible.

>     It seems to work fine except that the arrow keys are not bound to
> next-line etc.  Local emacs users assure me that this should be happening.

I am sure that you could probably define them in the .emacspfkeys file or
in therr lisp/term support files...

>     So, my question.  How do people out there share the etc, lisp and such
> files between the two copies?  Do I really need seperate sets of these
> directories for the two executables?

It doesn't make any difference which version you are running; the lisp and
compiled lisp files will be the same.

Moral of the story, one program and one set of libraries are all that is
needed.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ second choice:                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +