[net.games.rogue] Are there multi player rogue games?

cate3@cadtec.UUCP (Henry Cate III) (03/16/85)

     Are there multi player rogue programs?  We have several
people here who really like rogue.  How would the scoring be
handled?  Would there be one central process with the description
of the dungeon, then each player would query it as the game
progressed?  Would they be able to fight each other?
-----

     Henry III			UUCP: {nsc,csi}!cadtec!cate3

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/20/85)

In article <49@cadtec.UUCP> cate3@cadtec.UUCP (Henry Cate III) writes:

>     Are there multi player rogue programs?  We have several
>people here who really like rogue.  How would the scoring be
>handled?  Would there be one central process with the description
>of the dungeon, then each player would query it as the game
>progressed?  Would they be able to fight each other?
>-----
>
>     Henry III			UUCP: {nsc,csi}!cadtec!cate3

if there were, you would need an awfully co-operative system
administrator.  rogue (esp. the more complex versions) takes a lot of
CPU because curses may do optimal cursor motion, but it bites the big
one for speed unless you are doing very minor changes to the screen.
thrown in for good measure would be the overhead of inter-process
communication.  the game would slow down considerably because you have
to handle requests from players more or less in a synchronous manner.
for an example, find someone who has sail.  if you have 4.2bsd, sockets
remove the need for a file interlocking scheme, but it then causes just
about as much overhead in system calls.  in summary, until you are
willing to develop it, and you find a way to allow multiple
communications with less overhead, you'll just have to wait until
someone does it for the PC.  i have one game anyway for the PC called
Zyll that is a two person adventure game.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/22/85)

Aw c'mon Herb, there aren't any multi-player rogue games
cuz there aren't enough cycles in the world to support
one???? Seriously, ya almost had me crying.

We have quite a good multi-user trek game running on our
IBM3081 here at BU, yeah, use is discouraged when there are
300 logins on the system but off-hours...hey, a cycle unused
is a cycle lost forever.

Besides, what about all those standalone UNIX boxes? Or do you
have a way of saving the unused cycles on those and using them
later?

A multi-user rogue would make an excellent, very challenging,
applied network project for an upper-class undergraduate.
(But don't give Herb a copy)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University :-)

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/25/85)

In article <294@bu-cs.UUCP> root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>Aw c'mon Herb, there aren't any multi-player rogue games
>cuz there aren't enough cycles in the world to support
>one???? Seriously, ya almost had me crying.
as keeper of the games on our system, it's my business to know how much
resources are consumed by each.  if all you are talking about is
something as simple as 5.3, then a multi-user game using sockets could
probably run as many as 10 simultaneous users.  if you are talking
about any of the advanced rogues, then the limit is closer to 3 or 4.
this is assuming you are running on a vax 780 with no other users and
also want reasonable response.  we had 5.3 on our system but archived
it because no-one plays it.  everyone plays our advanced rogue.

>We have quite a good multi-user trek game running on our
>IBM3081 here at BU, yeah, use is discouraged when there are
>300 logins on the system but off-hours...hey, a cycle unused
>is a cycle lost forever.
we have a few too, running on our 4341 networked complex, but they don't
run rogue.  doing it on an ascii terminal would kill the system, and
no-one has written a curses-like package for 3270-type terminals.  i
might also mention that even a 3081D is benchmarked at approximately
35 times the cycles as a 780, while a 3081K is closer to 45.

>Besides, what about all those standalone UNIX boxes? Or do you
>have a way of saving the unused cycles on those and using them
>later?
we run micro-vaxes with our version of advanced rogue.  two people playing
at once kills response for anyone else.  a micro-vax isn't a small machine
when it comes to cpu power.  (io sucks though.)

>A multi-user rogue would make an excellent, very challenging,
>applied network project for an upper-class undergraduate.
>(But don't give Herb a copy)
i already have all the ones i need, and i also probably have quite a few
that no-one else has either.  as for a project for a 4th year course?
only if that's the only course you take for one term.  and i wouldn't
want to play it with more than 2 people on a vax 780 unless i was
willing to live with SLOW repsonse.