[gnu.emacs] X-ized emacs as a non-X program

pvogel@convex.com (Peter A. Vogel) (02/21/90)

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

>Hi.  Just compiler 18.55 with X support. Works Great.

>Now, what if I don't particularly want emacs to come up in it's
>own window when I am running X-windows (i.e. how do I make it function
>like it did before X).

>Note that I would like not to have to change the TERM type.

>		Steven

No need to change the TERM type, X-ized emacs looks for a DISPLAY
environment variable, and puts it's window on that display, if no
DISPLAY variable is set, it will come up in your xterm as though
you weren't in X-windows, just alias you emacs command to unset the
DISPLAY variable (after saving to a temporary) and then invoke emacs, and
then reset the DISPLAY variable.  Simple.

Peter
Peter A. Vogel                    |   Always carry a towel.
Convex Computer Corp.             |               --HHGTTG
Internet/uucp: pvogel@convex.com  |

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (02/22/90)

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

>Hi.  Just compiler 18.55 with X support. Works Great.

>Now, what if I don't particularly want emacs to come up in it's
>own window when I am running X-windows (i.e. how do I make it function
>like it did before X).

You don't have to mess with DISPLAY or TERM. The `-nw' switch does the
trick.
mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

bsa@NCoast.ORG (02/22/90)

In your message of 21 Feb 90 15:11:39 GMT, you write:
+---------------
| schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
| >Now, what if I don't particularly want emacs to come up in it's
| >own window when I am running X-windows (i.e. how do I make it function
| >like it did before X).
|
| you weren't in X-windows, just alias you emacs command to unset the
| DISPLAY variable (after saving to a temporary) and then invoke emacs, and
| then reset the DISPLAY variable.  Simple.
+---------------

Wouldn't it be easier to simply alias emacs to "emacs -nw"?

++Brandon

worley@compass.com (Dale Worley) (02/22/90)

Even easier, use the "-nw" option, which suppresses recognition of any
window system (X or Sun).  Make sure it is at the beginning of the
argument list.

Dale Worley		Compass, Inc.			worley@compass.com
--
All through human history, tyrannies have tried to enforce obedience by
prohibiting disrespect for the symbols of their power.  The swastika is

palkovic@LINAC.FNAL.GOV (John A. Palkovic) (02/23/90)

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

>Hi.  Just compiler 18.55 with X support. Works Great.

>Now, what if I don't particularly want emacs to come up in it's
>own window when I am running X-windows (i.e. how do I make it function
>like it did before X).

How about

	example% emacs -t `/dev/tty` ?

John Palkovic
University of Wisconsin-Madison  and	Fermilab, Batavia, IL
Dept. of Physics
phonenet:       (708) 840-2374
Email addresses
bitnet:    palkovic@fnal   internet: palkovic@adcalc.fnal.gov,
decnet:	   FNAL::PALKOVIC	     palkovic@fnalc.fnal.gov

paj@mrcu (Paul Johnson) (03/01/90)

How to stop X Emacs comming up in its own window....

Use the command "emacs -t /dev/tty".

The previous suggested solution, the aliasing of the Emacs command to
unset and then set the DISPLAY environment variable, is dangerous
because even Emacs may terminate abnormally.

For more info, see info emacs.Command Switches.

Paul.
--
Paul Johnson                               UUCP: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!paj
--------------------------------!-------------------------|-------------------

smithln@watermelon.cs.rochester.edu (Neil Smithline) (03/02/90)

In article <454@argus.mrcu>, paj@mrcu (Paul Johnson) writes:
>How to stop X Emacs comming up in its own window....
>
>Use the command "emacs -t /dev/tty".
>
>The previous suggested solution, the aliasing of the Emacs command to
>unset and then set the DISPLAY environment variable, is dangerous
>because even Emacs may terminate abnormally.

How about just "emacs -nw".

If you insist on messing with the DISPLAY envariable then how about
	alias emacs-nw '(UNSETENV DISPLAY; emacs \!*)'
and there is no problem if emacs terminates unexpectedly.

Neil

--
Neil Smithline
ARPA:    smithln@cs.rochester.edu

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (03/02/90)

In article <454@argus.mrcu> paj@uk.co.gec-mrc (Paul Johnson) writes:

> Use the command "emacs -t /dev/tty".

How about "emacs -nw" (no window)?  I just looked this up in the code
today, as some of our people don't like the pop-up-in-X behavior in
18.55, and I'm trying to persuade them to let me retire 18.49...

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com