[net.games.rogue] What have I done??

pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) (04/16/85)

I was in the middle of my best rogueing adventure.  My best.  By many orders
of magnitude, my best.  (Which may not be much to some of you super-rogue-ers).
Well, I was fighting a gelatinous cube, when the message "you have been turned
to stone" appeared, followed immediately by that dreaded R.I.P. sign.

Petrification, huh?  How was I to know?  Can anyone tell me

   1)  What could I have done to avoid it,  and
   2)  Is there any way (besides experience) of knowing what a monster
       is capable of?

Thanks.

Dan Masi

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/17/85)

In article <542@hou2e.UUCP> pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) writes:
>Petrification, huh?  How was I to know?  Can anyone tell me
>
>   1)  What could I have done to avoid it,  and
>   2)  Is there any way (besides experience) of knowing what a monster
>       is capable of?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dan Masi

1)	read the source 8-)
2)	play thousands of games and remember all of them
3)	read net.games.rogue
4)	ask someone who plays a lot what they remember being particularly
	nasty or unusual

when being paralyzed by a monster that turns you to stone, there's
about a 5% chance of dying by petrification each time.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu