[net.games.rogue] Sure-fire, total winner--bug spoiler

alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) (05/14/85)

Well, it may be, if you figure out how to keep the machine from slowing
down too much.

In my last game of srogue, I was on level 1, randomly reading scrolls to
determine their effects.  Well, I happened to read a scroll that caused
the message "Suddenly, the whole dungeon goes quiet".

Stop reading now!  If you go past this point, you'll know how to win!

That scroll is an enchanted scroll of hold monster.  A real doozy, but
with a twist:

IT EVEN WORKS ON THE QUARTERMASTER!

yup, you heard me right: even that guy with the infinite-depth pack.
He was coming to show me his wares and I'd frozen him in his tracks.
Even hitting on him didn't wake him up.
Being as I was a thief, I started stealing from him.  And stealing.  And
stealing. and... well, I found out how high your stats can go:  25 is
max for any of them except HP.  I found out how well enchanted scrolls
of raise level work: boing! boing!  I even found out how far you have to
go as a thief before you get magic and prayers.

but the machine slowed down.

That's the best explanation I have: suddenly, commands took a while.  It
was about 2 AM, well later actually, when this was happening; unless
someone on the system started reniceing my job, I don't think I was
doing anything naughty.  Perhaps the aobjects that I'd thrown away (I
was blocked into one room by mr. q)  were not being cleaned up properly,
and were stacking up in memory w/o cleanup.

The sad thing: finally I had to hang up the game, without a score.  AND
I WAS AT 25th LEVEL!  grrrrrrrr....

Well, if anyone else fools with this bug, let me know.  And don't get
too greedy: mr. q will get back at you and you'll only have your
memories...

Alex

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/16/85)

In article <859@sdcsvax.UUCP> alex@sdcsvax.UUCP (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>That's the best explanation I have: suddenly, commands took a while.  It
>was about 2 AM, well later actually, when this was happening; unless
>someone on the system started reniceing my job, I don't think I was
>doing anything naughty.  Perhaps the aobjects that I'd thrown away (I
>was blocked into one room by mr. q)  were not being cleaned up properly,
>and were stacking up in memory w/o cleanup.

actually, on 4.2 bsd, after a certain amount of CPU and a bunch of
other determining factors (so i'm told), processes will be reniced
automatically.  it has happened to me occasionally, but i only know
what i'm told.

>The sad thing: finally I had to hang up the game, without a score.  AND
>I WAS AT 25th LEVEL!  grrrrrrrr....

most srogue versions use your gold as scoring when you quit.  this is
stupid, especially since experience level is used for everything else.
if you're fairly sure you were going to be somewhere near the top of
the scorefile, then just take off you armor and commit suicide.  you
will end up on the scorefile with your experience point score.
our version always scores using experience and has a separate entry in
the scorefile for gold so you see both.

all srogue versions i know of have a limit of 2^32-1 points before the
score counter overflows.  this is around experience level 26 or so for
all classes.  if you get over 2 billion points by whatever means, don't
get too high a score or else you will not end up in the scorefile.
our version is sufficiently hard that almost no-one has a chance to
overflow the counter anymore, although it is still possible to be
a total winner.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu