[net.games.rogue] Total winners

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (05/20/85)

We've got a person here who's a total winner, too.  However, rumour
has it that he has the source code.  Can anyone explain "wizard
mode" to me?  I'm not particulary great at rogue, but I've been
playing straight all along.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/22/85)

In article <400@bu-cs.UUCP> sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
>We've got a person here who's a total winner, too.  However, rumour
>has it that he has the source code.  Can anyone explain "wizard
>mode" to me?  I'm not particulary great at rogue, but I've been
>playing straight all along.

wizard mode is intended for debugging the game.  depending on the version
of rogue you have, there may or may not be a way of finding out the
wizard's password.  once you have been in wizard mode, it is no longer
possible to get that game into the scorefile.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos) (05/23/85)

In article <400@bu-cs.UUCP> sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
>We've got a person here who's a total winner, too.  However, rumour
>has it that he has the source code.  Can anyone explain "wizard
>mode" to me?  I'm not particulary great at rogue, but I've been
>playing straight all along.

I don't think having the source code (in Rogue 5.3) helps much. I
got it and I still am not  a total winner. Having the Hack source
helps much more, since it is much clearer to understand (for me)
and hack has a lot more magic objects/situations in which source
knowledge comes in handy (Engravings, Orcrists, dogs, etc).

I think that after 1 1/2 years of rogue 5.3, it still finds silly
ways to kill me. So far, ALL my really good games were ended by
SILLY deaths:

(1) level 13, ~4000 points, land in a party room and a Venus Flytrap
    next to you along with two C's.
(2) level 18, str=19, +3 mace, 70+ hp, wiped out in ONE shot by a M.
    just wiped out, that's it. 4500 points at death.
..... et cetera

In contrast I was a total winner in hack playing a "C", and that was
with a lot of luck... (and no dogs or wands of wishing). Rogue will
always find ways to kill you...

Spiros
/* dum Spiro Spero */
ut-sally!usl!sigma