[net.games.rogue] Demon princes & Lesser gods

tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) (05/27/85)

I was playing srogue last night, I was a 16th level cleric on dungeon level
34 when, using my monster detection, saw that in four separate rooms, were
four nasty monsters, the two I remember being the demon prince and some
lesser god.  Needless to say, I did not survive.  My question, is how does
one deal with these; in addition, how does one deal with black puddings and
pit fiends?  The only way I found to deal with pudding is with a wand of
cancellation.  Any other ideas?

						_emt

ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) (05/28/85)

> I was playing srogue last night, I was a 16th level cleric on dungeon level
> 34 when, using my monster detection, saw that in four separate rooms, were
> four nasty monsters, the two I remember being the demon prince and some
> lesser god.  Needless to say, I did not survive.  My question, is how does
> one deal with these; in addition, how does one deal with black puddings and
> pit fiends?  The only way I found to deal with pudding is with a wand of
> cancellation.  Any other ideas?
>
> 						_emt

Try using a wand of desintigration (sp?).  It will usually destroy most monsters
on the first shot.  The princes and gods are a little tougher but still can be
killed with several zaps from this handy little weapon.  Just make sure that you
have a wand of charging to keep it going.

Dan Gold

...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie:ccrdan

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/29/85)

In article <420@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) writes:
>I was playing srogue last night, I was a 16th level cleric on dungeon level
>34 when, using my monster detection, saw that in four separate rooms, were
>four nasty monsters, the two I remember being the demon prince and some
>lesser god.  Needless to say, I did not survive.  My question, is how does
>one deal with these; in addition, how does one deal with black puddings and
>pit fiends?  The only way I found to deal with pudding is with a wand of
>cancellation.  Any other ideas?

i assume you mean some version of advanced rogue.  dealing with things
like the gods and other unique monsters requires trickery as well
as sheer power.  i've found that unless you have somewhere over 150
and preferably over 200 hit points and a very good weapon and armor,
you should avoid going head-to-head with these types.  a wand of
disintegration with LOTS of charges is good for softening up the
monsters a bit so that fewer blows are required to kill them.  a blessed
wand of teleport monster may help.  potions of haste self and setting traps
are also useful to get around these monsters without doing battle.

since you were on level 34 and the amulet was only on level 35, you
may consider setting a trap door trap and dropping through it.  this
is sometimes known as plunge mode.  you try and get down and back as
fast as possible without dealing with the really nasty monsters.
plunge mode should be quite workable once you are able to take on
ancient dragons with some degree of success, although you may want to
try doing it a little earlier than level 34.

there are several ways of dealing with black puddings:
1)	wand of cancellation
2)	wand of disintegration
3)	blessed wand of teleport monster
4)	if you can get around them, wand of paralyze monster
5)	also when you can get around them, scroll of hold monster
6)	getting them to run over trap doors
7)	casting a spell or praying for cancellation
8)	wand of slow monster if you need to get around them

there are probably a few others i haven't thought of.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

petersen@ucbvax.ARPA (David A. Petersen) (05/31/85)

In article <420@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) writes:
>I was playing srogue last night, I was a 16th level cleric on dungeon level
>34 when, using my monster detection, saw that in four separate rooms, were
>four nasty monsters, the two I remember being the demon prince and some
>lesser god.  Needless to say, I did not survive.  My question, is how does
>one deal with these; in addition, how does one deal with black puddings and
>pit fiends?  The only way I found to deal with pudding is with a wand of
>cancellation.  Any other ideas?
>
>						_emt

	********** SPOILER *********

One way to deal with these monsters is to set trap doors and lead them to it.
The best way is to be tough enough to fight it out ( except P's of course ).
The surest way to win is to play as a magic user and do everything you can
to increase your intellegence in the early levels.
If you can cast spells of enchantment by the time you get to about level 28
when wraiths start to show up, you can use all you magic points on enchanting
your armor or weapon when you see a wraith.
You then take off your armor and let the wraith hit you until you loss a level.
When you kill the wraith you raise a level and get all you magic points back.
In my last game I had +40 armor and +20 +17 weapon by the time
I got to level 34, and it was no contest.
I also enchanted all my scrolls of teleportation and used them to stay around
level 30 as long as possible.
	Herbert Ko

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (05/31/85)

Beware of using wraiths to recharge your spells.  This technique does
not work in all versions.  I have tried it in mine (5.5) and it does
not do a thing.  You just get back what you had.  Also, in my version
you cannot charge armor past +10.

brosenstein@watarts.UUCP (Barbara Rosenstein) (06/01/85)

I'm posting this in reference to Herbert Ko's earlier article.  I would like to
inform Mr Ko that he is one very fortunate individual.  You see, here at
University of Waterloo we have something known as Herbie Chong.  Herbie makes it
a habit to continualy update our version making it more and more difficult.  We
too used to be able to up our hit points with the good ole wraith trick (Wights
work too) but herbie decided to change it so there is only a 50% chance of
regaining the lost level.  In our version things can explode if enchanted too
much (do you know what it's like to lose a weapon when you're way down there!?)
We also have crystalline armour that can shatter. That's also fun to try to
replace. We also have a thieves market that randomizes the prices.  There's alot
more weird and wonderful features to our version but I'm getting depressed just thinking about them. - some other time.
    In closing Mr Ko all I can say is enjoy while it lasts cause herbie
is friends with your wizard so pretty soon you should be enjoying all the
benifits we waterlooers recieve from our grand wizard and his great wizardwess.

As to the black pudding question I've found wands of drain life work wonderfully
(if you've made the mistake of hitting one of them before you knew what they
were, drain life will kill all of them in one zap).  A wand of cold also works,
(you freeze them and then you can hack away and they won't split). Try it
sometime.

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (06/05/85)

> You see, here at
> University of Waterloo we have something known as Herbie Chong.  Herbie
> makes it a habit to continualy update our version making it more and
> more difficult.

Oooh, yuck!  This herbie chong creature sounds worse than a level-50
party room!  Keep him away from my version of srogue 2.0!    :-)

> too used to be able to up our hit points with the good ole wraith trick
> (Wights work too) but herbie decided to change it so there is only a 50%
> chance of regaining the lost level.

*** warning!  spoiler clarification follows!  keep reading! ***

Re: Srogue 2.0 vanilla version (of course).

It is not the level or hit points that matters, but the magic points.
This spoiler is, therefore, only applicable to magic users.  You get
the same number of magic points every time you elevate to experience
level n, a number that depends on your intelligence at the time.  The
last spell a magician learns to cast, up around experience level 15, is
to enchant something.  If you can get that high (you figure out that
part), you are in business; when you know you are going to go up a
level soon:
* you use up all your magic points enchanting things.
* (optional) you get "wraithed" (can drive your magic points negative!).
* you go up a level (potion of raise level, or just by killing things).
* you get your full complement of magic points back.
* repeat as necessary.
This takes practice, and you can die horrible deaths while you're
getting the hang of it, but it is the only way to win that I know
of.

> As to the black pudding question I've found wands of drain life work
> wonderfully (if you've made the mistake of hitting one of them before
> you knew what they were, drain life will kill all of them in one zap).
> A wand of cold also works, (you freeze them and then you can hack away
> and they won't split). Try it sometime.

One game I was hitting away at something while blind, and it wasn't
dying.  My sight came back and the room was full of the little bastards.
I had great fun for the next half hour, teleporting around, marching
them into trapdoors, using them to shield myself from other monsters,
etc.  The best way to deal with them in general is to ignore them--they
don't do much damage.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv