 Date: Mon, 9 May 88 15:16:06 EDT
 From: Pat_McGregor@um.cc.umich.edu
 To: sca@ai.ai.mit.edu
 Subject: An introductory note

 (this is a note I wrote for a pamphlet a while back. I tried to pull the
 blatently Middle Kingdom-specific stuff out of it, and I notice that there
 is a dearth of information about heraldry, but.....

	      Life in the Current Middle Ages
	      _______________________________

 SCA is the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is a group
 dedicated to recreating the Middle Ages in the present. Many
 groups meet weekly, and at these meetings we dance, talk, study,
 learn, revel, and make plans. But first, let's get a little bit
 of info about the SCA in general.

	       Where did the SCA come from?
	       ___________________________

  The avowed purpose of the SCA is the study and recreation of the
  Middle Ages, its crafts, sciences, arts, traditions, literature,
  etc. The SCA "period" is defined to be 600 AD to 1600 AD. Under
  the aegis of the SCA we study dance, calligraphy, martial arts,
  cooking, metalwork, stained glass, costuming, literature....
  well, if they did it, somebody in the SCA does it (Except die of
  the Plague!).

  As you can probably guess, the thing that separates the SCA from
  a Humanities 101 class is the *active* participation in the
  learning process. To learn costuming, you design and build
  costumes. To learn SCA infantry fighting, you make armor,
  weapons, shields, etc., and put them on and go learn how it
  feels to wear them when somebody is swinging a (rattan) sword at
  you. To learn brewing, you make (and sample!) your own wines,
  meads and beers.

  You will frequently hear a SCA person describe the SCA as
  recreating the Middle Ages "as they ought to have been." In some
  ways this is true -- we have few plagues, indoor plumbing, few
  peasants. In the dead of winter we have other things to eat than
  King's venison, salt pork and dried tubers.

  The SCA was invented (? discovered? begun?) in 1966 in Berkeley,
  California by a group of Science Fiction and Fantasy fans who
  wanted a "theme" party. Following the party, a group got
  together to discuss the idea of a medieval re-creation and
  re-enactment group. (which has ended up being much like the
  Civil War, Revolutionary War or Buckskinning re-enactment groups
  that were beginning to form in the US.) In Britain Medieval and
  British Civil War recreation societies had existed for any
  number of years. The Californians incorporated as a non-profit
  educational society, started forming groups, and away they went.

  Since 1966, the society has grown to include nearly 13,000
  paying members in the US, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain,
  Germany, Italy, France, Korea, Okinawa, New Zealand, Australia
  and Greenland. Current demographic estimates indicate that for
  every dues-paying member there are 4 non-subscribing members
  active in local groups.

		How is the SCA Organized?
		________________________

  The SCA is a feudal society. No democracies for us! The SCA
  "Knowne World" is divided into twelve Kingdoms, each with a King
  and Queen (who rule by right of arms), a Prince and Princess
  (heirs to the throne), and a council or Curia of Great Officers
  who handle the mundane, day to day details of running the
  kingdom.

  A feudal society takes its form from the idea of honor and duty.
  A noble owes duty of service to his lord, a Baron or Knight.
  Knights owe in return the duty of protection from danger and
  food, money, etc. when times are bad.

  On the next level up, the Knights owe fealty (the word that
  encompasses this idea of reciprocal responsibilities) to the
  King. In return for their service as good stewards of the land
  and readily available warriors, the King owes the Knights and
  barons protection, honor, and a return of money, food, etc in
  times of hardship. It is something like the idea of a Pyramid
  club, but the benefits are greater and the idea of personal
  honor and mutual responsibility, not profit, tie the structure
  together (or at least it did in Europe for nearly a thousand
  years).

  In the SCA this structure underlies our Society, although not
  nearly as rigidly as in the medieval days. Our King, the head of
  our Kingdom and our liege lord, has fought for the right to bear
  the crown by fighting in a Crown Tourney for the right to make
  his Lady Queen. <In the case of female fighters, she has fought
  for the right to make her Lord King Consort.> In some Kingdoms,
  like the West (middle California), the King's word is law, and
  the people willingly obey his every whim. Of course, four months
  later there is a new King, with different ideas. Life can get
  interesting.

  Fighting in the SCA, or Why are those people hitting each other?

  Fighting in the SCA evolved from what happened when two armed
  knights were unhorsed and had to fight on the ground. It
  resembles nothing so much as medieval infantry fighting. There
  are two basic types of SCA fights: single combat, and group or
  team battles, known as melees. SCA fighting does have rules. The
  first, and most important rule, is that each and every fighter
  on the field has honor. The fighter keeps faith with his honor
  by accepting blows that would be killing or wounding (more about
  this a little later).

  The second is like unto it; A fighter keeps faith with his
  brother fighters by acknowledging his opponent's word -- if he
  says it was light, it was light. Since we prefer that no one get
  hurt, SCA fighting is done with real armor (made with leather,
  metal, padding, kydex, etc) and rattan swords. Rattan is that
  bamboo-y stuff, only with a solid core, that furniture is made
  of. Rattan, surprisingly enough, is springy enough to absorb
  some of the force of the blow (although blows are *real solid*)
  and light enough to approximate a real steel sword. Swords are
  made by wrapping rattan staffs with strapping tape, covering
  them with duct tape (known as silver tape) for esthetic reasons,
  and attaching some sort of hilt or handle. Armor is much more
  complex -- some armor, being made of steel, rivets, leather,
  etc, can take more than 40 hours per piece of armor (for
  example, a armored "glove" with moving fingers and joints can
  take upwards of 75 hours to complete).

  There are several essential and required pieces of armor --
  helm, neck and cervical vertebrae protection, elbows and knees,
  kidneys, hands, groin. After that, most SCA fighters wear chest,
  leg, arm and forearm, and feet protection.

  If a blow hits hard enough that a sword would have cloven mail,
  it is "good". Beginning fighters, as they are being trained, are
  taught blow calibrations. Fighters are trained, by the way.
  Aspiring fighters attend some months of fighter practices where
  they learn the rules and learn how to protect themselves on the
  field. After some time, they attempt to "authorize" -- they go
  before a panel of experienced fighters, fight a couple of
  rounds, and if the panel decides the fighter is safe (not good,
  you understand, but unlikely to hurt him or herself or an
  opponent) they are authorized to fight in Tourneys. This process
  (from starting to fight to being authorized) can take from a
  couple of months to a year or more.

  Fighting brings us to *the Chivalry.* The Chivalry is a group of
  elite fighters -- those who have gotten very very good at
  fighting, and who at the same time have absorbed the concepts of
  Honor and Chivalry (they're basically good guys), have learned
  something of basic Heraldry, Chess, something about the Arts and
  Sciences, can behave well in public, and are generally good
  examples for people everywhere.

  (The word Chivalry comes from the Old French *chevalerie*
  <related to the Spanish *caballeria*>, meaning horse-fighter,
  cavalry, "knight". It came to French and Spanish from Latin
  caballerius, horse rider. As only the wealthy could afford the
  horse and trappings of a mounted warrior, it became the province
  of the nobles to be mounted and fighters. Thus the elite status.
  The word has come down to us from a different route as
  *cavalry*. Oh, well!) <There are rank-equivalents to Knights in
  the Arts and Sciences, called "Laurels", and in the Services,
  called "Pelicans". I will discuss them later on!>

  A King (if he is himself a Knight, and not all Kings are) can
  knight a fighter if he (or she) thinks the candidate is
  deserving. Usually the other Chivalry have agreed, or it doesn't
  happen. (If the King isn't a Knight, another member of the
  Chivalry can hold the sword with the King. Only a Knight can
  make a Knight.) The Knights swear personal fealty to the Crown.
  Since some people, for religious reasons, reasons of personal
  honor, etc, feel that swearing fealty is inappropriate for them,
  a branch of Chivalry has been created, called Masters, who do
  not have to swear fealty. Upon receiving the accolade of
  Knighthood, the candidate receives a Gold chain to wear about
  the neck, a white belt, and gold spurs. Some receive a *real*
  sword, as well.

	Why Do you all have such funny names?
	_____________________________________

  Every person in the SCA picks a name to use in the Society. It
  could be something simple (George of Wardcliff) or something
  elaborate (Dughall Aislean nic mac Lathurna). Most people pick a
  time period in the SCA "period" (between 600 and 1600) and a
  country (any place that can documentably be proven to have had
  trade with western Europe during the period), and choose a name
  from that. Some people just pick a name and forget about it;
  some have elaborate persona stories to go with their names.

  Even our towns have new names. Lansing, MI, is Northwoods,
  Toronto is Septentria, Boston is Carolingia, the San Francisco
  bay area is the Principality of the Mists, etc.

  Most folk in the SCA register their names and a heraldic device
  that they design to represent them. Also, later in their SCA
  careers, they may be given awards and rank, at which time their
  devices become "Arms" and they are most properly called "Lord"
  or "Lady So-and-So."

  Rank in the SCA, or How Come She is Wearing a Crown?

  There are two sorts of peers in the SCA; Royal Peers and Peers.
  Royal Peers are folk who have worn the crown of a Kingdom or
  Principality at least once. Ex-Princes are Viscounts,
  Ex-Princesses Viscountesses, and from there it gets complex.
  Those who have been King or Queen once are Counts/Countesses.
  Those who have been King or Queen twice are Dukes/Duchesses.
  Those who have been King or Queen more than that are generally
  considered masochistic! (Small in-joke!) Seriously, there are
  many who have reigned at least three times, and in the West
  there is a legendary Duke who has been King eight times.

  Other sorts of Peers are folk who, through dint of talent, hard
  work, and long effort, are recognized for their contributions
  and skills. We have already talked about the Knights. There are
  also the Laurels (Talented craftsmen and artists, recognized for
  having talents and being willing to teach and be gracious), and
  the Pelicans (generally skilled bureaucrats -- somebody *has* to
  do the hard paperwork of running a Kingdom with 3000 people in
  it, and some people keep working at this sort of task for
  years.). The Pelican was thought in medieval times to be the
  most self-sacrificing animal -- it was thought a Pelican would
  pierce her beast to allow her heart's blood to drip into the
  mouths of her offspring when food was short. Peers are made by
  the desire of the King and Queen in accordance with the
  recommendations of the rest of the order.

	   Feasting, Dancing and Merrymaking
	   ________________________________

  One of the most interesting parts of the SCA is the Events --
  the times when we put on our costumes, go out and dance those
  dances we've been practicing, flirt, eat, talk, and generally
  party. Events are held almost every weekend of the year
  somewhere in the country. Most groups hold at least one event
  per year; some larger groups will hold two or more.

  At events there are often tourneys, art exhibits or
  competitions, dance classes, workshops, and, later in the
  evening, Royal or Baronial Court, and dancing. Many times there
  will be a Feast in the evening. Other times, for smaller events
  or if a newer group is holding the event, there will be a
  dessert revel (People go out for dinner and then come back for a
  dessert buffet).

  The events are the most fun to most folk, because you get to go
  and show off all the things you have been learning in the past
  few months.

	   What Kind of Person Joins the SCA?
	   __________________________________

  SCA folk tend to be people like you and me -- just plain folks,
  but people who enjoy doing something more with their weekends. A
  high percentage of SCA members are involved in high tech fields
  -- Computers, Aerospace, high energy physics, etc. This has been
  attributed to the fact that people who play all week with highly
  complex, modern technology find it highly relaxing to spend
  their leisure time working with a different kind of technology,
  in a less modern setting. There are lots of people in all fields
  in the SCA -- historians, writers, secretaries, law enforcement
  personnel, teachers, programmers, insurance agents -- the appeal
  of the SCA is widespread.

  A housemate of a SCA person recently said: "From what I can tell
  about these wild and crazy SCA people, they do more than just
  this fighting thing. They really like to make and wear the
  medieval clothes (garb), eat the medieval food, dance the
  medieval dances to the medieval music, maybe even make their own
  medieval music, and other medieval party type activities. They
  also seem to like to be medieval so they can relax and have a
  good time. They are quite willing to talk about SCA or invite
  you to the SCA stuff or whatever."

		How You Can Get Involved
		_______________________

  We welcome you to our local meetings and our events. You needn't
  join the SCA, Inc, to attend and participate (although if you
  decide to be with us regularly you may wish to join). The only
  requirement to come to an event is that you make some attempt at
  pre-1600 costume -- and most groups have "loaner" costumes for
  people who want to come to their first event.

  If you want more information about groups near you, you can call
  our corporate office in Milpitas, CA, at (408) 262-5250, or send
  a notice to this mailing list or newsgroup, or contact the
  Society Chronicler (Pat McGregor) at (517) 351-4962 (email:
  smor@um.cc.umich.edu)

  Welcome to the current middle ages!
	  In service,

		  Siobhan Medhbh  O'Roarke