[sci.bio.technology] looking for gm - molecular biology X software

mark-d@molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Mark Dalton) (10/30/90)

Hi!
	I am trying to find a X windows package in molecular biology
I think it is called gm, and I think that Chris Fields was the
developer.  If anyone knows where I can get this package, or find
more information on it or other X-windows molecular biology packages
let me know.

					Thanks!

					Mark

| We all dreams at times, unfortunately my dreams may not always     |
| coincide with reality, or even the beliefs of my employer.         |
| Mark Dalton				   |
| Scientific Consultant/User Services 	   |
| Molecular Biology Computing Center	   |
| University of Minnesota             	   |
| Internet: mark-d@molbio.cbs.umn.edu	   |
|__________________________________________|

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (10/30/90)

In article <2591@ux.acs.umn.edu> mark-d@molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Mark Dalton) writes:
>	I am trying to find a X windows package in molecular biology
>I think it is called gm, and I think that Chris Fields was the
>developer.  If anyone knows where I can get this package, or find
>more information on it or other X-windows molecular biology packages
>let me know.

	gm is a program for identifying genes in uncharacterized DNA.
It is described in CABIOS (1990) 6:263-270 " gm: a practical tool for
automating DNA sequence analysis."

	Chris Fields is at the
	Center for Advanced Computing in Molecular and Cellular Biology
	Computing Research Laboratory
	Box 30001/3CRL
	New Mexico State University
	Las Cruces, NM 88003

Surprisingly, I was not able to find an email address in the paper.

Bill Pearson

gwilliam@crc.ac.uk (Gary Williams x3294) (10/30/90)

In article <2591@ux.acs.umn.edu>, mark-d@molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Mark Dalton) writes:
> Hi!
> 	I am trying to find a X windows package in molecular biology
> I think it is called gm, and I think that Chris Fields was the
> developer.  If anyone knows where I can get this package, or find
> more information on it or other X-windows molecular biology packages
> let me know.

He will find it in the EMBL fileserver along with lots of other goodies.
To get help on using the EMBL server, send mail to the BITNET/EARN
address "netserv@embl.earn" containing the one-line command "HELP" with
nothing else in the message.

Gary Williams

Computing Services Section,             Janet:       G.Williams@UK.AC.CRC
MRC-CRC & Human Genome Mapping Centre,  Internet:    G.Williams@CRC.AC.UK
Watford Rd, HARROW, Middx, HA1 3UJ, UK  EARN/Bitnet: G.Williams%CRC@UKACRL
Tel 081-869 3294   Fax 081-423 1275     Usenet: ...!mcsun!ukc!mrccrc!G.Williams

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct30.014206.29371@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, wrp@biochsn (William R. Pearson) writes:
>	gm is a program for identifying genes in uncharacterized DNA.
>It is described in CABIOS (1990) 6:263-270 " gm: a practical tool for
>automating DNA sequence analysis."
>
>	Chris Fields is at the
>	Center for Advanced Computing in Molecular and Cellular Biology
>	Computing Research Laboratory
>	Box 30001/3CRL
>	New Mexico State University
>	Las Cruces, NM 88003
>
>Surprisingly, I was not able to find an email address in the paper.

You could try:
  cfields@nmsu.edu

That is the email address he gives in my copy of the gm distribution,
'though fingering him there doesn't work...

good luck.
g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell

Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) (10/31/90)

writes:
>         I am trying to find a X windows package in molecular biology
> I think it is called gm, and I think that Chris Fields was the
> developer.  If anyone knows where I can get this package, or find

gm (gene modeller) is an interesting new molbio program, as described in
Comp. Appl. Biosciences of June this year.   "It is a fully automated
system for the analysis of anonymous genomic DNA sequences", according to
one of the authors, Chris Fields.  It is intended to run on Unix
workstations, and includes but doesn't require X-Windows interface.  You
can contact Chris Fields at    cfields@nmsu.edu   and he will tell you how
to ftp this software.

Don.Gilbert@iubio.bio.indiana.edu
biology dept., indiana univ.,  bloomington, in 47405, usa