[sci.bio.technology] Biosphere II

white@nereid.ists.ca (Harold Peter White) (09/14/90)

I seldom read this group, so please reply via e-mail, or follow-up to sci.misc.

I watched a news report last night on Biosphere II, quite an amazing experiment.
There was one fact that I was not made sure of however, that I wonder if
someone could confirm the facts for me.
  Is this project like a bubble, with the dirt put in the bubble to grow food
in, or is Biosphere II built on the ground, without the bottom physically
preventing contact between Earth and the `Biosphere II' ground? (Even if its not
the former, I'd still be inpressed)
  Also, where would I look to see any progress reports? Do the project people
publish any updates, results, or conclusions anywhere?

H. Peter White
white@nereid.sal.ists.ca
fs300326@Sol.YorkU.CA
(416) 665-5444 ext.460
(416)250-5921 (home)

lains@world.std.com (Layne L Ainsworth) (09/16/90)

In article <12548@ists.ists.ca> white@nereid.ists.ca (Harold Peter White) writes:

>I seldom read this group, so please reply via e-mail, or follow-up to sci.misc.
>

>I watched a news report last night on Biosphere II, quite an amazing experiment.
>There was one fact that I was not made sure of however, that I wonder if
>someone could confirm the facts for me.
>  Is this project like a bubble, with the dirt put in the bubble to grow food
>in, or is Biosphere II built on the ground, without the bottom physically
>preventing contact between Earth and the `Biosphere II' ground? (Even if its not
>the former, I'd still be inpressed)
>  Also, where would I look to see any progress reports? Do the project people
>publish any updates, results, or conclusions anywhere?

Yes, the enclosure sits on a huge stainless steel tray to seal it from the
earth.  For more complete details (if what was on the news bore any
resemblance to what I forced myself to sit through on the Today show, you
will need them) try the Summer 1990 (#67) issue of The Whole Earth Review.

Actually, the WER is a good 'zine to look at anyway.  Lots of articles on
the fringe, but at least an equal amount of decent articles and book reviews.

Sorry for the plug, but I love this magazine.

--
        -Layne Ainsworth

lains@world.std.com <or> |  It is impossible to prepare simultanteously for war
...!uunet!world!lains    |  and peace and still have time for golf. -Anon.

langford@ohsuhcx.ohsu.edu (Chris Langford) (09/19/90)

Biosphere II is constructed so that the only things that get
in and out are energy.  It has a plastic laminated base that
is somewhere between 10 - 20 feet below ground.

There is a very detailed (and very good) discussion of Biosphere II
in the last issue of the Whole Earth Review (not the current one,
but the one before).  Fascinating stuff.

Chris

craig@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Craig Callinan) (01/03/91)

I'm trying to locate information on the Biosphere II project taking place
in Arizona.  More to the point, I'm looking for documentation on
all aspects of the project.  If anyone could provide me with either
the documentation or the names of people to contact for this information,
it would be much appreciated.

thanks -- craig

craig@chumley.tn.cornell.edu