[gnu.g++] gcc/g++ on apollos ??

ief@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Alain Merigot) (03/02/89)

    Does gcc/g++ (with coff support) runs on apollo sr10 ? Does it
requires changes ? And in that case, has anybody made them ?

    I am currently running sr9.7, and i don't have gcc 1.32, so i
can't try by myself. But one of our project requires g++ ;
should i upgrade to sr10 or try to find a sun :-) ?

    Many Thanks in advance,

Alain Merigot
Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale
University of Paris Sud
Orsay - France
ief%geocub.UUCP@inria.inria.fr
...uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!ief

ckim@esunix.UUCP (Cheol Kim) (03/10/89)

ief@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Alain Merigot):

>     Does gcc/g++ (with coff support) runs on apollo sr10 ? Does it
> requires changes ? And in that case, has anybody made them ?
>
>     I am currently running sr9.7, and i don't have gcc 1.32, so i
> can't try by myself. But one of our project requires g++ ;
> should i upgrade to sr10 or try to find a sun :-) ?
>
>     Many Thanks in advance,
>
> Alain Merigot
> Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale
> University of Paris Sud
> Orsay - France
> ief%geocub.UUCP@inria.inria.fr
> ...uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!ief

we have had the same dillemma and ,as of now, we do not have any way
to run g++ on apollo sr10.  the problem is that apollo sr-non-10 does
not have an appropriate 'a.out.h', the executable format file.  Also,
Apollo has not provide assistance of any kind to GNU and therefore
GNU does not have a port on Apollo machines.  If you have an Apollo
with intel 386 and system V, you can port g++ on it.  Otherwise,
you have a long uphill battler ahead of you.

Your best bet might be to find a Sun if you can because two Mikes of
GNU seems to be working on Sun gcc and g++ the first.

cheol

rfg@MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) (03/11/89)

In a recent posting to info-gcc, mailrus!wasatch!uplherc!esunix!ckim@cis.ohio-state.edu
(Cheol Kim) wrotes:

>ief@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Alain Merigot):
>>
>>     Does gcc/g++ (with coff support) runs on apollo sr10 ? Does it
>> requires changes ? And in that case, has anybody made them ?
>>
>>     I am currently running sr9.7, and i don't have gcc 1.32, so i
>> can't try by myself. But one of our project requires g++ ;
>> should i upgrade to sr10 or try to find a sun :-) ?
>>
>>     Many Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Alain Merigot
>> Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale
>> University of Paris Sud
>> Orsay - France
>> ief%geocub.UUCP@inria.inria.fr
>> ...uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!ief
>
>we have had the same dillemma and ,as of now, we do not have any way
>to run g++ on apollo sr10.  the problem is that apollo sr-non-10 does
>not have an appropriate 'a.out.h', the executable format file.  Also,
>Apollo has not provide assistance of any kind to GNU and therefore
>GNU does not have a port on Apollo machines.  If you have an Apollo
>with intel 386 and system V, you can port g++ on it.  Otherwise,
>you have a long uphill battler ahead of you.
>
>Your best bet might be to find a Sun if you can because two Mikes of
>GNU seems to be working on Sun gcc and g++ the first.

Ah, ha! Two more people who *need* G++ with COFF!  Is somebody keeping count?

The main problem with porting G++ to the Apollo machines is that they use
the COFF object format, however anybody who has been reading either the
bug-g++ mailing list or the corresponding gnu newsgroup over the past
few weeks should know by now that a ports of G++ 1.33.0 and 1.34.0
to COFF-based 386 systems have already been done by Ron Cole of Chico,
California.  He is now sending out 386/COFF patch kits for G++ 1.34.0
to anybody who asks for them.  Note that although he did his port of G++
to a stock 386/PC/AT clone box running Microport UNIX, this is probably
not very different at all from an Apollo/386 system, and thus, his patches
should get you up and running fairly easily.

Ron Cole is not on the Internet (yet) but you should be able to reach him
via usenet at:

	...!ames!lll-crg!csuchico!cvms!ronald

If you cannot find a usenet path from you to ames, don't ask me.

// Ron Guilmette  -  MCC  -  Experimental (parallel) Systems Kit Project
// 3500 West Balcones Center Drive,  Austin, TX  78759  -  (512)338-3740
// ARPA: rfg@mcc.com
// UUCP: {rutgers,uunet,gatech,ames,pyramid}!cs.utexas.edu!pp!rfg

ronald@cvms.uucp (03/13/89)

In article <8903110132.AA08945@riunite.aca.mcc.com> you write:
>Ron Cole is not on the Internet (yet) but you should be able to reach him
>via usenet at:
>
>	...!ames!lll-crg!csuchico!cvms!ronald
>
>If you cannot find a usenet path from you to ames, don't ask me.

Since I announced support for COFF in g++, I've gotten a little better
than one request per day for it!

Lll-crg just dropped its uucp connection to csuchico a few days ago.
The most reliable way to get mail to me is through relay.cs.net
(maybe uunet!relay.cs.net!csuchico.edu!cvms!ronald, see my siggie below)
until csuchico gets on the Internet (any month now).

--
Ronald Cole               | uucp: csuchico!cvms!ronald   voice: +1 916 895 8321
Senior Software Engineer  |   PhoneNet: ronald%cvms%csuchico.edu@relay.cs.net