[gnu.g++] lack of C++ library documentation

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (04/22/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>[...]  In general, there is a grievous need for another book, a
>companion to "The C++ Programming Language", to document and de-facto
>standardize a bunch of basic libraries.  C++'s big win is the ability to
>write powerful and useful libraries, but most of the "well known" libraries
>are documented in obscure technical reports, manual pages accompanying
>particular implementations, or purely as folklore.  The result is that
>it's hard to find out about them and reinvention and mutation are rampant.

The best collected documentation that I have found is in the `info'
file for `libg++', the standard library for GNU's C++ compiler.
The documentation is particularly useful because it is
cross-referenced and is available both online and as printed copy.

From the main index/menu (Copyright (C) 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.):

* Copying::         GNU CC General Public License says
                    how you can copy and share GNU C++ library.
* Contributors::    People who have contributed to GNU C++ library.
* Installation::    How to configure, compile and install GNU C++ library
* Trouble::         If you have trouble installing GNU C++ library.
* General::         Aims, objectives, and limitations of the GNU C++ library
* Conventions::     Stylistic conventions
* OK::              Support for representation invariants
* Proto::           Introduction to container class prototypes
* Pix::             Pseudo-indexes
* Representations:: How variable-sized objects are represented
* Headers::         Header files and other support for interfacing C++ to C
* Builtin::         Utility functions operating on builtin types
* File::            File-based classes
* Stream::          istreams and ostreams
* Obstack::         Obstacks and their uses.
* String::          String, SubString, and Regex classes.
* Integer::         Multiple precision Integer class.
* Rational::        Multiple precision Rational class
* Complex::         Complex number class
* Fix::             Fixed point proportion classes
* Bits::            BitSet and BitString classes
* Random::          Random number generators
* Data::            SampleStatistic and related classes for data collection
* Curses::          CursesWindow class
* List::            Lisp-like List prototype
* LinkList::        Singly and doubly linked list class prototypes
* Vector::          Vector prototypes
* Plex::            Plex (adjustable array) prototypes
* Stack::           Stack prototypes
* Queue::           Queue prototypes
* Deque::           Double ended queue prototypes
* PQ::              Heap (priority queue) class prototypes
* Set::             Set class prototypes
* Bag::             Bag class prototypes
* Map::             Map (Associative array) prototypes
* Gperf::           Perfect Hash Function Generator
* Projects::        Things Still Left to do

		;-D on  ( Code + Comments = Program )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo