[gnu.g++] GNU C++ 1.35.0 and libg++ 1.35.0

tiemann@THOREAU.STANFORD.EDU (Michael Tiemann) (05/17/89)

At long last, GNU C++ 1.35.0 has been released.  It is available by
anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu (east coast) and
labrea.stanford.edu (west coast).  It should be available by uucp from
Ohio State in a few days.  Watch this space for details.  On prep and
labrea, the file you want is ~ftp/pub/gnu/g++-1.35.0.tar.Z, dated
after 11:30 PM, PDT.

To compile GNU C++, you must also have the sources for GNU CC 1.35.
Sources for GNU CC 1.34, or GNU CC 1.36 (when that becomes available)
will not do.  You will also need the latest bison, version 1.01.  For
more installation information, see the file README which comes with
the release.

GNU C++ 1.35.0 now supports most of the new C++ 2.0 features that have
been published or hinted at so far: multiple inheritance, virtual
baseclasses, uninheritable virtual functions, extern "C" and extern
"C++".  Other C++ 2.0 features, including overloading operators new
and delete, operator->, protected members, memberwise assignment and
initialization, etc, have been in GNU C++ for some time now.  For this
release, I accidently implemented static member functions, which
though not yet officially part of C++ 2.0, appear to be useful
nonetheless.

Along with GNU C++ 1.35.0, libg++ 1.35.0 is also available, from the
file ~ftp/pub/gnu/libg++-1.35.0.tar.Z.  In addition to bug fixes,
enhancements, and portability improvements, libg++ now takes advantage
of new GNU C++ features, including `#pragma once' (which makes the
preprocessor scan a file only once, rather than once every time it is
#included, as is the case with the usual #ifndef FOO_H hack) and
extern "C".  In addition, Carl Staelin has contributed a sample
Makefile and other utilities that uses GNU Make to exploit filename
structure to automate prototype compilation.  For more details, see
the README in the release.

A new version of GDB 3.1+ should be available as well, but is not.  I
didn't have the time to fix that up.  GDB 3.1.2 does work with 1.35.0,
but don't expect too many 2.0 features to work without some effort.
If I just had a support organization working for me...

GNU C++ 1.35.0 has been tested on libg++-1.35.0, OOPS version 1.0,
InterViews 2.5 beta, and many random cases which have come across the
net.  As always, if you find a bug in the compiler, please send me
enough source to reproduce it; an explanation of what is going wrong
is also very helpful.  Bugs can be mailed to me
(tiemann@lurch.stanford.edu) or to the g++ bug mailing list
(bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu).  If you want to be added to this list, send
mail to bug-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu, stating your request.

If you have problems with libg++, the person to contact is Doug Lea
(dl@rocky.oswego.edu).  There is also a bug mailing list,
bug-lib-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu.  To be added to the list, use
bug-lib-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu.

Enjoy!

Michael

joh@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Hollinger) (05/17/89)

In article <8905170821.AA17761@thoreau>, tiemann@THOREAU.STANFORD.EDU (Michael Tiemann) writes:
> At long last, GNU C++ 1.35.0 has been released.  It is available by
> anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu (east coast) and
> labrea.stanford.edu (west coast).  It should be available by uucp from
> Ohio State in a few days.  Watch this space for details.

Sorry about the noise but...

	Is anyone in Texas planning to get this stuff? We don't have
	access to anonymous ftp and trying to get a modem line out of
	here is pretty much a lost cause. Anyway, I could really use
	this stuff and would like to find a local source ( close to
	Austin ) who might be able to make me a tape. Thanks in Advance.

	Joe Hollinger
	Motorola Inc,
	6501 William Cannon Drive West
	Austin Texas 78735

	512-891-3215

	or better yet:

	oakhill!moontang!joh@cs.utexas.edu

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/17/89)

In article <8905170654.AA05609@yahi.stanford.edu> tiemann@YAHI.STANFORD.EDU (Michael Tiemann) writes:
   ... GNU C++ 1.35.0 ... should be available by uucp from Ohio State
   in a few days.  Watch this space for details.

Yup, it's here now.  Get osu-cis!~/GNU.how-to-get as usual for
instructions.