[gnu.g++] G++ libraries and copyleft

paul@dialogic.UUCP (Paul Bennett) (07/11/89)

From comp.lang.c++ (I'm posting here beacuse I don't know if comp.lang.c++
gets to the internet ..)

In article <6590190@hplsla.HP.COM> jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) writes:
>>release the source code.  However, if you include the source or object
>>code from the libg++ libraries (stream.h, Strings,h, etc.) with your
>>product, then your work falls under the copyleft.
>
>I've heard this before, but I've yet to see Stallman verify this in black and
>white terms.

Could someone from FSF give a definitive answer on this, please - or at
least state their intent ? Specifically:

1) If I compile and link my software using the G++ libraries, does the *whole*
work come under copyleft (i.e. Do I have to distribute *complete* sources),
or can I simply distribute the *only* libraries themselves ?

Please post to gnu.g++
--
Paul Bennett, Dialogic Corp.			VOX: (201) 866-4319 x 194
EMAIL:	paul@dialogic.UUCP  (..!uunet!dialogic!paul)

des@orenda.amara.uucp (Dave Steinhoff) (07/12/89)

>In article <6590190@hplsla.HP.COM> jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) writes:
>>>release the source code.  However, if you include the source or object
>>>code from the libg++ libraries (stream.h, Strings,h, etc.) with your
>>>product, then your work falls under the copyleft.
>>
>>I've heard this before, but I've yet to see Stallman verify this in black and
>>white terms.
>>

>Could someone from FSF give a definitive answer on this, please - or at
>least state their intent ? Specifically:  .......

I hate to harp, but would the FSF clarification *please* include the
official word on the runtime modules crt0/crt1.  It seems to me that
article 3 of the copyleft embedded in each of the source modules (as
distributed with Interviews 2.5) implicitly states that incorporation of
these modules into an executable makes the entire executable subject
to the disclosure gotcha.  It isn't obvious (to me) how 'using' crt0
without modification is different from 'using' libg++ without
modification.  Does making an explicit reference to a libg++ stream or
string make the crucial difference?

Dave Steinhoff                       Applied Dynamics International
des@amara.UUCP                       3800 Stone School Rd.
...uunet!amara!des                   Ann Arbor, Mi 48108